Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtwist

Crownrot Prince
Reaction score
I was eagerly awaiting this one, as I love stonei and gigantifolium. The buds were so dark I wasn't convinced it was labelled right, but very happy with it for a first flowering. A variety of shots in different light/backgrounds. As you can see, the colours look very different, depending on the environment. Even the backs of the flowers look fantastic!
Chris, UKLevy 2.JPGLevy 2a.JPGLevy 2b.JPGLevy 3.JPGLevy 3a.JPGLevy 4.JPGLevy 4a.JPGLevy 5.JPGLevy6.JPG

Great pics!

The white background is my favourite. Often times people use too dark a background that dampens the flower colour.

The petals are lovely, twisting like the gigantifolium with the length of the stonei.

Great pics!

The white background is my favourite. Often times people use too dark a background that dampens the flower colour.

The petals are lovely, twisting like the gigantifolium with the length of the stonei.

Thanks. Yes, it difficult sometimes to find the right background tone to bring out certain colours - the creamy greenish white of the dorsal is hard to capture true.

What’s the breeding plan with this? Backcross to stonei?

Funny you ask that, I've attempted my first cross with this already - using Stone Praetorian (aka Yellow Tiger) - so, yes, more stonei, but also glanduliferum to hopefully reduce plant size and keep the long twisty petals. (If it takes of course ;))
Can't have too much stonei IMHO....

Cross it to sanderianum if you can get pollen. Much of the progeny will have twirly petals like Chiu Hua Dancer.

Just outstanding. Love the first photo (white background) in particular. I agree with Mike. Crossing with sanderianum would be great but finding pollen is another matter.

Just outstanding. Love the first photo (white background) in particular. I agree with Mike. Crossing with sanderianum would be great but finding pollen is another matter.

Well my Sandy is still several years off flowering (assuming I don’t kill it like the last two!), so I’ve done the next best thing and gone with philippinense. Should make for something like a muscular Mt.Toro I’d hope:)

Lovely flowers and a well grown plant. Thanks for the great amount of different photos. I personally am no fan of too light backgrounds because they reduce the contrast to the flower and they seem 'to drown' in the background. A dark background on the other hand needs more light to the flower. But needless to say taste is personally even with photos.

Gorgeous! I just love what gigantifolium does to hybrids, at least in the first generation, they’re almost all consistently good. Congrats on a great blooming!

Second flowering of this plant. (Probably my favourite) One less flower than last time but more consistent flower shape and much longer petals, which I put down to a warmer location.
75F010C8-1E14-4807-80C9-A707B69792B6.jpeg
878257A8-58FD-435E-A820-AC14A05BFF87.jpeg
DBDACCBB-C70D-47E9-B9E5-F323C7A726D9.jpeg
F6E6909F-5592-4AF4-A4AA-C0C48F18CCFC.jpeg
3B8427FA-E86A-40C2-9C3C-7C93CD735E70.jpeg

Attachments

• DBDACCBB-C70D-47E9-B9E5-F323C7A726D9.jpeg
    DBDACCBB-C70D-47E9-B9E5-F323C7A726D9.jpeg
    317.4 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back