Paph. Maudiae Vinicolor 'Black Jack'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys.

Yes it's a Maudiae, Ozpaph.

Mike, it was an eBay purchase that is exactly as it was pictured so that's a bonus!

This cannot be straight Maudiea, lawrenceanum x callosum.
The leaves, flower (shape, color, dorsal color and patterns, the staminode, petals and everything) indicate that this has charlesworthii mixed in its genetic make up.
Very pretty! :)

The label just says Paphiopedilum Black Jack. Orchid Roots has Black Jack listed as a Maudiae Vinicolor and the photo on there is a pretty good match.

Nice. Maybe some light on the DS to show the texture.

Does DS mean dorsal septum? If so, happy to post a better lit photo of that this evening (UK time!). There is faint striping so a charlesworthii involvement wouldn't surprise me too much.

This name of orchid is offered by a few sellers over here and it's not expensive (this was about £15 flowering size) so some nursery is cranking them out.

so the only 'maudiae type' "Black Jack" is Paph. Hsinying Black Jack (Paph. Black Cherry x Paph. Laser). It could be that, a complex Maudiae type. But it does look to have charlesworthii in it.
I think they are selling vinicoloured Maudiae type flowers ie not pure Maudiaes.

Possibly P. charlesworthii x P. Maudiae vinicolor which is actually P. Schaetzchen. In Google you can find a lot of sites(mostly european) calling this type of cross P. Black Jack and they are clearly charlesworthii x vinicolor crosses. The Black Jack seems to be more of a catchy generic promotional name.

20190509_193501-1.jpg 20190509_193530-1.jpg 20190509_193646-1.jpg 20190509_193709-1.jpg Sorry for the slight delay but here are some more photos. I've shot these with flash and some in daylight and flash so quite over-exposed to show some underlying features.
Can certainly see traits that could be Charlesworthii.

Latest posts

Back