Paph. Maudiae 'The Queen' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jmoney

classic green-and-white Maudiae-type, still unsurpassed in quality after all these years. very distinctive light green foliage patterning too, in case any are up on ebay. widely reputed to be triploid, and that's why there are few if any legitimate progeny.

Paph.%20Maudiae%20'The%20Queen'%20AM-AOS%20(2006.08)-1.JPG

Paph.%20Maudiae%20'The%20Queen'%20AM-AOS%20(2006.08)-2.JPG

I think we need to start a Sexy Green Paph thread to go along with the Sexy Pink Phrag thread. This flower is HOT.

My favorite paph of all time, Jason. Several years ago I saw a plant of it across the room at our local show. And the room we do the sales in is, oh, about 150 feet long. So, from that distance, I immediately knew it was 'The Queen', and I immediately walked over and bought it without even asking how much it cost. I'd always wanted one (and it was a nice plant, too).

There is a Clair de Lune clone that is almost as good (can't remember the name). You see it everywhere, chances are if it is an alba Clair de Lune, it is the right one.

The paph Claire de Lune clone that is famous is "Edgard Van Belle" which has an AM/AOS. This and Maudiae "The Queen" are two of the very best of this type of breeding, and have been around for many years.

Thanks for posting the pix! My "Queen" is in bud and should open in few weeks...very hardy, made it outdoors through both of this summers heat waves without blasting...when it blooms I can compare it to your picture to make sure I have the right clone....but its already pretty large...much larger than "Magnificum" at that stage......By the way, I once read that "Bankhaus" was supposed to be identical to the "Queen"...but I used to have it, and if anything it was just like Magnificum........Take care, Eric

Heather, this isn't a particularly-good blooming, as the plant got repotted right before the spikes came up, and hasn't really established itself yet. about a 5" natural spread. I've bloomed this cultivar with 5.5+" nat spr, but the real massive 6+" flowers are on well-established mature plants, i.e. those with 18" leafspans.

Clair de Lune 'EVB' is every bit as impressive as 'The Queen', also very massive on established plants. there's a third huge "oldie", Alma Gavaert 'Madame Maurice Mertens', that doesn't seem as common these days. all three are reputed to be 3N.

Eric, if you want to compare foliage, let me know so I can snap a pic. 'The Queen' has rather distinctive markings, totally different than 'Magnificum' (which is in its own right a nice crisp flower and a vigorous grower, but isn't anywhere near as stately).

big%20greens.JPG

Definitely! I think a foliage photo would be great for comparison...as I said once before, this does look like plants of the Queen that I have seen before in shows...and its larger by far than Magnificum, with a clearly different foliage pattern...definitely more attractive. By the way, I once had a Clair delune clone that was supposed to be EvB, but it grew very poorly...when it finally bloomed once, it was a pathetically small flower with a small dorsal and ugly oversized pouch....its since deceased and unmourned. (Gotten from the Orchid House...a great company but seemed to have more mislabelled plants than others....) According to an old brochure from the Orchid House, the "Queen" is supposed to be the largest , followed by Mdm Maurice Mertens, and then by Edgar van Belle..and they had a photo showing all three together....the "Queen" was clearly the largest. Take care, Eric

I'm not sure how much this varies according to environmental conditions, but every piece of 'The Queen' I've seen has this exact foliage. the base color is akin to that green-yellow crayon in the crayola box way back when. Clair de Lune 'EVB' seems to have much darker green color and more contrast in the tessellations.

queen_foliage.jpg

Just for comparison, here is a photo of Paph. Clair de Lune 'Edgard Van Belle' AM/AOS that Krull-Smith recently sold on eBay. The tessellations in the foliage appear to be more defined than in Paph. Maudiae 'The Queen' AM/AOS.

CDLEVB.jpg

Eric Muehlbauer said:
...(Gotten from the Orchid House...a great company but seemed to have more mislabelled plants than others....) ...

This is most definitely true — but with other companies it was often accidental.

Now....I've looked over those photos, and checked out my plant....The older leaves look like the picture of "The Queen"...however, the youngest leaves have much brighter tesselation, more like E vB.......I guess I'll just have to wait for it to open...should happen in about 10 days.....Take care, Eric

Eric Muehlbauer said:
Now....I've looked over those photos, and checked out my plant....The older leaves look like the picture of "The Queen"...however, the youngest leaves have much brighter tesselation, more like E vB.......I guess I'll just have to wait for it to open...should happen in about 10 days.....Take care, Eric

is that the one that was on ebay a couple months ago? I remember seeing one advertised as 'The Queen' and thinking to myself that the foliage looked kinda like 'EVB'.

Back