Paph. Maudiae 'The Queen' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
Still the best green/white Paph. It's big, vigorous and blooms often.

17804.jpg

hi john.

was also known under the name maudiae 'bankhouse' and is used in green maudiae hybridizing up to this day.
thanx for sharing
cliokchi

Cliokchi: According to this from Orchids Limited website, as you say, 'The Queen' and 'Bankhaus' are the same clone; but, it is 3n. Doesn't that mean it does not breed....or at least, it does not breed well?

"Paph. Maudiae 'Bankhaus' FCC/AOS
Paph. Maudiae ‘Bankhaus’ is a special variety of the green and white primary hybrid made with Paph. lawrenceanum hyeanum and Paph. callosum sanderae. The Bankhaus clone is a famous one having garnered an FCC from the American Orchid Society. This plant is a triploid that produces very large green and white flowers in the 4 to 5 inch range on tall strong stems. It is easy to grow and blooms several times per year. Paph. Maudiae ‘Bankhaus’ was originally in the collection of Mrs. Pierre Dupont in the mid 1940’s. Plants offered are divisions from our stud collection and are limited in availability. Later this same plant was awarded as Paph. Maudiae ‘The Queen’ AM/AOS."

I have "The Queen" in bloom now...and another division of it in bud. Its a magnificent plant. While I have often heard that "The Queen" and "Bankhaus" are the same, in my experience they are not. I had a division of Bankhaus years ago. While a great plant, it was not at all like the Queen...smaller both in bloom and foliage. It was much closer to Magnificum than to The Queen.

Of course, there's bound to be some mislabelled plants out there as well. Perhaps your 'Bankhaus' was actually 'Magnificum' or a 'Magnificum' lookalike? It's too bad that you don't still have your division of 'Bankhaus' because you could tell if it was labelled properly by selfing it. If you got viable seeds, you'd know it was not 'Bankhaus' because both plants labelled as 'Bankhaus' and 'The Queen' are 3n; so, you wouldn't get viable seed by selfing either one of them.

hi john.
you can't use it a pod parent but definitely as pollen parent
many of the modern maudiae types are tetraploids or polyploids
cliokchi:)

Cliokchi: According to this from Orchids Limited website, as you say, 'The Queen' and 'Bankhaus' are the same clone; but, it is 3n. Doesn't that mean it does not breed....or at least, it does not breed well?

"Paph. Maudiae 'Bankhaus' FCC/AOS
Paph. Maudiae ‘Bankhaus’ is a special variety of the green and white primary hybrid made with Paph. lawrenceanum hyeanum and Paph. callosum sanderae. The Bankhaus clone is a famous one having garnered an FCC from the American Orchid Society. This plant is a triploid that produces very large green and white flowers in the 4 to 5 inch range on tall strong stems. It is easy to grow and blooms several times per year. Paph. Maudiae ‘Bankhaus’ was originally in the collection of Mrs. Pierre Dupont in the mid 1940’s. Plants offered are divisions from our stud collection and are limited in availability. Later this same plant was awarded as Paph. Maudiae ‘The Queen’ AM/AOS."

I have "The Queen" in bloom now...and another division of it in bud. Its a magnificent plant. While I have often heard that "The Queen" and "Bankhaus" are the same, in my experience they are not. I had a division of Bankhaus years ago. While a great plant, it was not at all like the Queen...smaller both in bloom and foliage. It was much closer to Magnificum than to The Queen.

My experience also. Some plants labled 'The Queen' and some plants labeled 'Bankhaus' may in fact be the same. I have heard 'Magnificum' included as another identical one. That doesn't mean any of them are labeled correctly in most collections. Maybe there is good documentation that 'The Queen' and 'Bankhaus' really were the same clone when awarded by AOS, but the plant I know as 'The Queen' far outshines any 'Bankhaus' or 'Magnificum' I've ever seen displayed.

Paph. Maudiae 'The Queen' AM/RHS (not AOS) was in my collection a long time ago. It was definitely different from 'Bankhaus', which reminds me of forms of Paph. Alma Gevaert (Maudiae x lawrenceanum hyeanum). What are the measurements of 'Bankhaus' ?

Latest posts

Back