Paph. mastersianum/violascen culture

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderlen3000

Reaction score
Anybody knows the proper culture for Paph. mastersianum and violascens. They both seem to be growing slowly and mastersianum leaves are pretty yellow. It's the normal leaf color for mastersianum??? I grow them under light with 15-16'C night time temperature with 5-10'C raise depending on the weather.

Both of these species need to be warm.....Paph violascens is a slow grower so don't expect otherwise. Paph mastersianum has lovely deep green foliage, sometimes with faint mottling, of course it depends on how much light it gets.
The leaves are lighter colored as the light gets brighter. If they are yellow, you have some serious troubles.

I would also really watch the humidity levels with these south pacific species as well as purpuratum. They have very thin leaves (you should see how thin sangii leaves are) compared to other paph species and seem to stress out easy in dry stagnant air.

I like to keep my humidity around them in the 70 - 80% range with good air flow.

The importance of humidity cannot be overemphasized, so I'll second Rick's recommendation. Other keys are modest light levels and very good water quality, using a complete fertilizer in modest levels with good water and periodic leaching. These are not the most demanding of the section, but are definitely not suggested for those who do not have good results with the rest of this section, they are still too uncommon in cultivation because so many are sacrificed on the learning alter.

Paph mastersianum like warm temperature with at least 18 C at night with high humidity and constant air movement. Bright light as for Phal. Water quality is very important. The medium should not be supplemented with oyster shell as they like acidic conditions.

Paphman910

I have posted in the past about my poor experience with mastersianum and violascens (slow growth, easy budding but blast prone for vioascens, death...) but I must admit that I am having good luck with my latest mastersianum....a seedling, I've had it for less than a year, but its grown steadily, no discoloration....not much different in rate of growth than a Maudiae...and it was only $15. Same treatment as my Maudiae's, under lights, regular fertilizing. Take care, Eric

Latest posts

Back