Paph mastersianum temperature tolerance

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papharotti

Reaction score
I've foolishly decided to attempt to grow P mastersianum despite not considering myself a master, it's not a seedling though so I'm hopeful.

I'm curious for those who have attempted or succeeded on the temperature range it will grow in, the online resources mention it being found up to 2000m, but all reports indicate it has to be grown as a warm grower which has me confused.

Has anyone encountered it decline at lower temperatures from experience - it will be grown in high humidity at all times but would 14c lows in winter be feasible for this plant? Thanks.

Last edited:
Those terms like warm grower, cool grower can be misleading.
The species info does say that the habitat is in the range of 900-2,000 meter in elevation in the tropical Asia.
So, the day time temperature might be warm (not hot) during the warmer wetter period but still significant drop at night.
I do not see this species talked about or shown much, so maybe that says something about it?
Let's see what others say.

I've foolishly decided to attempt to grow P mastersianum despite not considering myself a master, it's not a seedling though so I'm hopeful.

I'm curious for those who have attempted or succeeded on the temperature range it will grow in, the online resources mention it being found up to 2000m, but all reports indicate it has to be grown as a warm grower which has me confused.

Has anyone encountered it decline at lower temperatures from experience - it will be grown in high humidity at all times but would 14c lows in winter be feasible for this plant? Thanks.
Mine has been growing fine for a year in my Chicago window conditions. As low as 45 F at night right in the window in winter, as high as 100 F sometimes in summer.

Mine has been growing fine for a year in my Chicago window conditions. As low as 45 F at night right in the window in winter, as high as 100 F sometimes in summer.
That's reassuring thanks, I will go with the 2000m gets cold logic and test the waters. I'll report back on the results.

I'm growing mines at the cool end of intermediate temp; 29/18C (84/65F) in the summer and 21/13C (70/55F) with high humidity. They don't grow particularly fast (took 6 years to the first bloom from deflasking), but I got a fairly high survival rate.

Latest posts

Back