Paph. malipoense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
This plant has 3 mature growths. All 3 have a spike. The first flower has just opened. It took 10 months!!! The spike first showed up last January. The plant and spike survived the freezing temps last March without even a hickup. I guess it's true about the Parvi's liking the cold! Sometime in April another spike showed up and just about 6 weeks ago, a third spike has just made an appearance.

Unfortunately, the dorsal sepal is curled on each side. Hopefully, the other buds will produce a better flower. So far, there is no scent.

Wendy got this plant from me a few years ago. It initiated a spike a couple times; but, always aborted....as malipoense is prone to do. So, Wendy gave the plant back to me in the summer of 2007 to see if my greenhouse conditions would make it co-operate.

It needs repotting. I'll do that in the spring and hopefully, the next flush of blooms will be bigger and better.

101_5175-2.JPG

The dorsal is a shame, but the rest of the flower is worth it!

Mine tend to get stuck at about 50% open, so this would be an improvement for me too.

Thanks Rick. The flower has sat at about half open for about 2 months. It finally just this week decided to inflate the pouch and open up the petals.

so, for me, all in all, a fine malipo flower: nice stami, lovely veining on pretty petals, great pouch (just no close-up at the dorsal:))!!! Jean

That would be one impressive dorsal if it does flatten on the next buds John M! 10 months hey, dang that means I've got 8 more to go! Great job going through the freeze.

so, for me, all in all, a fine malipo flower: nice stami, lovely veining on pretty petals, great pouch (just no close-up at the dorsal:))!!! Jean

I will double this...:D I would like to see how the other two will look like...:)

I wouldn't care about the curled edges of the dorsal I'm pretty sure this will disappear with the next flower. All in all it's the only flaw of this bloom the rest is very good.
Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Latest posts

Back