Paph. Magic Lantern

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenman

Reaction score
I checked the tag and my first potting of this was in 1995. I have successfully bloomed several of each parent many times, but this has never done well, and has only now put out its first bloom. Had similar difficulties with Kevin Porter, which I finally lost a few years ago and still need to replace. Happy to finally see it bloom, like the color and the hairs, and hoping the next time it won't have the dent in the pouch.

magiclantern0819.jpg

Hopefully you have other ML clones Tenman. Twenty years is way to long for the next flower for this plant.
Past it down to your grandchildren ;)

Nice. You can push the pouch out from the inside.

I tried that the day after it was fully open. I can push it out, but it snaps right back to be dented. Did it twice just to be sure.

Stuff it with cotton my friend. Leave it for a week or 2. Then tease the cotton out with a small diameter stick. You need to leave the cotton in until the pouch hardens off.

I think it's best to just leave the dent alone. You could probably be successful depending on the case as others suggested, but I have found that it comes back as you say, or risk damaging the flower. Fortunately, most of the time, I don't have the dent issue. When it does happen, it's usually bulldogs or brachy related flowers only, and I just let them be.

Latest posts

Back