Paph Magic Lantern

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo Schordje

wilted blossom
Reaction score
my contribution to the parade of Paph Magic Lantern.
the natural spread is 9.1 cm

magic%20lantern1181-June2011a.jpg

I'm not sure "falling out of favor" is the the right mind set. It's pobably more "everyone needs one in their collection and do" so making a sell is tough job to do in a flooded market.

Nice example Leo

I'm not sure "falling out of favor" is the the right mind set. It's pobably more "everyone needs one in their collection and do" so making a sell is tough job to do in a flooded market.

Nice example Leo

Correct evaluation IMO.

Nice ML, Leo! Wide dorsal especially special.

AHHHH - so lovely! :smitten::smitten:
Does anyone else have trouble blooming ML? I seem to be able to grow them fine but no blooms - winter temps? same thing with dele, can grow 'em but no blooms. :(

AHHHH - so lovely! :smitten::smitten:
Does anyone else have trouble blooming ML? I seem to be able to grow them fine but no blooms - winter temps? same thing with dele, can grow 'em but no blooms. :(

Mine just seems to keep growing without showing signs of blooming too... :( My delenatii album hasn't done anything besides grow, but I'm not sure it's BS yet.

Rose, Do you have just one Magic Lantern? I have a number of them, and every year at least a couple of them bloom. I have two in bloom at the moment.
Of course! I'm no fool! What give up bench space for more that don't bloom for me!? Be careful what you say - you might get another one!
So they don't necessarily bloom every year?
Most of my deles are a bit small, they're growing well, when they get to adult size that's when my troubles begin, which seems strange, what sense does that make?
I've repotted most of the Nick brachys from last summer/fall. My orchid club makes up a bark mix, so I'm trying that (Orchidata, perlight & tiny lava pebbles). Some did fine & alot are in bud now but then there's some that roots started rotting on. I thought it was better to check them out now rather than wait for the annual fall repot, I'm glad I did!

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I do think this Magic Lantern is special, because of the wide dorsal and good overall size. This plant seems to mature growths a little faster now that I have 4 growths on it. When it was a one growth seedling, it was a pokey grower.

As Bob suggested, I started out with a bunch of Magic Lanterns. I bought 2 flasks from Paphanatics at least 10 years ago. Sold many seedlings over the years, but hung on to at least 6 from each flask to bloom for myself. I narrowed my collection of Magic Lantern down to 5 total, all are pretty good ones. Eventually I'll narrow it down more once I get a clump or two that reliably bloom every year. If you can, grow all your Parvi's on to clumps, and you will be much happier with their blooming.

Latest posts

Back