Paph. (Magic Lantern x malipoense)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

This is a new parvi cross: Paph. Magic Lantern x malipoense:

PaphMagicLanternxmalipoense422008.jpg

PaphMagicLanternxmalipoense-side-42.jpg

Robert

I'm not loving the color breaks...are all of them blooming out this way?

This is the first one that has bloomed. Usually with secondary crosses, you get more variation, than you get with a primary cross, so I am guessing that there will be some variation in this cross, some may turn out more green and some more pink. I will post more pictures if more of them bloom, but I did not get many seedlings out of this cross (only 1 flask).

Robert

I got this cross from Parkside back in 03 and it was already a nbs plant. so i don't think it is a new cross. Mine has bloomed twice for me and is currently in high spike. i don't remember if it had color breaks but will see shortly

the RHS Grex Search has it listed as being registered 6/29/08 by Orchids Ltd and it is called Paph Misty Lantern

I went out to the greenhouse and double checked the tag to make sure I was reading it right and it still has the original Parkside tag 'Magic lantern x malipoense' 04/03, I wonder why it was not registered eariler?
Rob

Rob, there needs to be a bloom photo to go with the registration. So, if no seedlings had bloomed yet, no registration. Also, the originator may not have especially liked the outcome of the cross so declined to name it. Or they plain forgot:>

Dang! This line of breeding is starting to look like some of the cyps we see posted here. Amazing color combo. I like the pink and green. I'm with Candace on the color break, aka stripes.

Rob, there needs to be a bloom photo to go with the registration. So, if no seedlings had bloomed yet, no registration. Also, the originator may not have especially liked the outcome of the cross so declined to name it. Or they plain forgot:>

You only have to submit a photo when it is a primary cross. If it is not a primary cross you only have to submit a short description of the flower. And why Parkside did not register the cross, I don't know. I usually like to stay on top of things, and when a new cross that I made is blooming and it has not been registered yet I usually go ahead and register it.

Robert

Latest posts

Back