Paph Magic Lantern 'Marie'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a pic of mine, I like the shape but always thought it was too pale :

2643006667_b1a2ab7055.jpg

Very nice!!!:drool: I think I almost like the paler ones better! Excellent shape! Now, grow it into a specimen size with 5 or 6 flowers at once!

??? So, do you do your own breeding, or did you buy a flask? Or, are they all different crosses? I would love to have many multiples of one species or cross, but I don't have the room.
Bought flasks of many Paphs in the past. Actually I miss counted, I have 21 MLs but I counted 43 plants of delenatii in various stages of growth!:)

OK, I understand. My tag only says "Magic Lantern". The problem here in France is that naming cultivars seems not as popular as it is in USA or in Germany, so our tags (when there's one !) usually say the minimum :(

Paphs and Phrags in general are usually not sold with cultivar names. Since they can't be cloned like Cattleyas or Phalaenopsis most are sold as as unflowered or first bloom seedlings, each of which could have its own cultivar name but most do not. Divisions should be sold with cultivar names, but are rarely available in large quantities for mass market sale.

Paphs and Phrags in general are usually not sold with cultivar names. Since they can't be cloned like Cattleyas or Phalaenopsis most are sold as as unflowered or first bloom seedlings, each of which could have its own cultivar name but most do not. Divisions should be sold with cultivar names, but are rarely available in large quantities for mass market sale.
That's absolutely right, sometimes the parentage's cultivar names of species crosses are listed. But even in this case the progeny is without a cultivar name and there is no guarantee for it's coming out in the same or better quality as its parents.
But everybody can name his/her plants their own cultivar name if he/she likes it. It's absolutely necessary e.g. for judging to distinguish judged plants.
Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Last edited:
Back