Paph Lunacy

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a first bloom seedling of a remake of Paph Lunacy = Hellas x Skip Bartlett. The cross was originally made in 1988 by Terry Root. There have been 11 awards given to the grex, with the most recent in 2007. This was a collaboration with a friend who had Skip Bartlett pollen available. We used the Hellas 'Sunset' HCC/AOS cultivar, an F2 Hellas as the seed parent.

PaphLunacy1.jpg

PaphLunacy1plant.jpg

not too bad, especially on a small plant. Congrats on blooming a cross you made. How many more left do you have to bloom? Was this the first one?A re you going to breed on with it or wait to see if there is a bette one?

not too bad, especially on a small plant. Congrats on blooming a cross you made. How many more left do you have to bloom? Was this the first one?A re you going to breed on with it or wait to see if there is a bette one?

Thanks, Ken. This is the first to bloom for me. I'm happy with the form, but will let the plant mature to evaluate the size. I plan to bloom more and evaluate them before deciding to breed with any. I'm not sure the actual number I have, but the seed production was relatively good for a white complex. I started with about 100 seedlings out of flask. Not counting the small ones, I probably have 30 nice seedlings that are NBS and should bloom in the next two years. I'm not sure how many my friend has left, but he started with a few more than I did.

Standard complex whites are not my specialty, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity when the Skip Bartlett pollen was offered. Strangely, because of my interest in miniature breeding, I'm hoping some of the smaller plants come around, too.

Excellent form; the petals are much wider than others of this cross. Well done!

Thank you for sharing the pictures! They are really interesting! I think it is a well shaped flower!
I didn't know, that the stem is so short, because most pics of Paphs show only the flower. Is the stem of Skip Bartlett 'White Pepper' short too?

Hey Ross, here's my Paph. Lunacy as you can see I'm not far behind you, and again thanks for the plant...... Jim.

Attachments

• IMG_2316.JPG
    IMG_2316.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 19
By the looks of it....there will be more awarded soon! Nice match making Ross! As for the clearing on the edge of the flower parts. I was told that was a sign of polyphoidism. I sure if that is true or not.

It's a great flowering! I would love to own that one, it has some amazing colour and I really like the shape.

Latest posts

Back