Paph Luk Luk

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron-NY

Reaction score
I was so excited my Luk Luk (stonei x niveum) was going to bloom. Well I got one deformed flower without a spike, just the ovary and flower sticking out of the crown. I took the picture and tore out this abomination :mad:

lukluk.jpg

While this is an unfortunately common deformity, it is also one that is likely to be developmental rather than genetic. I've seen individual flowers showing similar deformities along with normal flowers on a multifloral spike. It may be due to immaturity, something physical or chemical interfering with development, or...it could be genetic. Hold on to it until the next bloom (which, as a brachy x multi, could be a wait of months, years, or decades...) to see what you get. Ordinarily, even if deformed, I'd say wait another year..but given its parentage and the potential wait involved, if its another dog...compost!!!!! Take care, Eric

The color and the spotting on the dorsal is quite pretty! Fingers crossed for next blooming!

Looks like it will be very pretty with a good flower but how many postings are in this forum relating to the problems of brachy x multi are there ???? a multitude. Guess who bought 3 seedlings of P. Paris ( bellatulum x stonei ) not that long ago?? ( me )

Ron, isn't this the norm. I think these types of crosses as a long term investment now. Something to ponder over ( or curse ) on a regular basis.
Good to yell at after a hard day to relieve the stress.

I have noticed with those kind of crosses, that once in a while they will first send out a flower that is "pinched" and deformed, and then later will send out one or two "normal" flowers from the same inflorescence, so hang in there (our first Paph. Jerry Lee Fischer did the same thing, the first flower was an ugly duckling, and then it sent out 2 "beautiful swans" from the same flower spike).

If it only will give you one "ugly duckling"' flower this time, and do the same thing next year, yes I would toss it then, but give it one more chance...

Robert

I experienced the same thing with my Pinocchio X Luna Moth..the first flower barely made it out from between the leaves and was perhaps even more hideous than Rons. I pulled it out and 3 months later, a new spike formed from the same spot and it bloomed normally. Perhaps yours will do the same Ron.

I have noticed with those kind of crosses, that once in a while they will first send out a flower that is "pinched" and deformed, and then later will send out one or two "normal" flowers from the same inflorescence, so hang in there (our first Paph. Jerry Lee Fischer did the same thing, the first flower was an ugly duckling, and then it sent out 2 "beautiful swans" from the same flower spike).

If it only will give you one "ugly duckling"' flower this time, and do the same thing next year, yes I would toss it then, but give it one more chance...

Robert
Robert, it didn't even send out an inflorescence, just the ovary with the flower:confused:

Todd, I have had the same experience from one of my multiflorals. That is why I tugged out the flower after I took the picture.

Robert, it didn't even send out an inflorescence, just the ovary with the flower:confused:

That is what I have seen too (especially in our sanderianum x delenatii and sanderianum x concolor crosses). Afer it forms the first bud (the one that is all pinched and ugly looking), the inflorescence will expand and get taller and make buds with normal flowers above the foliage.

Robert

Speaking of an ovary with a flower.....my very first vini produced flowers on the ovaries...beautiful flowers, with no stem. So beautiful, I kept it. After a few years, it started to produce normal spikes...and the blooms were definitely not as good as they had been. Go figure..............Eric

Latest posts

Back