Paph. lowii ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

tomkalina

Vendor
Reaction score
In bloom this morning. Bought this from Taylor Orchids many years ago labelled "Paph. New Species - lowii-like". I think it's similar to the Orchids Ltd. clone named 'Horizontal'. Horizontal natural spread = 14.7 cm. Anyone know if it's ever been formally described as a variety of lowii?

Last edited:

jacqi

Reaction score
It kinda looks like lowii, but the coloration is too light and the petals are to
horizontal. Maybe a natural cross with an alba?

JAB

Reaction score
Whatever it is, she is gorgeous!

Paul

Reaction score
That's a nice lowii, very horizontal but pure lowii. There is so much variations in this wonderful species!!:clap:

Fabrice

Reaction score
If you have a roth with almost horizontal petals, it would be a good idea.

naoki

Reaction score
Cool, it will be interesting to see whether all kids have the same traits! Looking at the older thread here, it looks very similar as you pointed out (pale dorsal, hairy inflorescence stem etc.). It is too bad that lineage info and original locality data are lost most of the time in orchid world (quite a contrast to carnivorous plants world). It would be nice to see if this is a regional variation or not (or just they are related plants). It is not easy to find regionally pure species.

tomkalina

Vendor
Reaction score
Valenzino, I think ours and the OL plant are the same clone. I bought ours from Taylor. Orchids and I believe Jerry Fischer did as well.

Last edited:

Scott Ware

Reaction score
Several years ago Ray Rands brought in some plants from Borneo that were labeled as Paph. lowii and designated as var. 'white dorsal'. This flower is exactly what those looked like.