Paph lowii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting experiments, Matt.

There is descriptive lighting and dramatic lighting. The former tends to be soft and defines outer contours. The latter tends to be "harder" light and brings out contours and contrasts within an object.

Your first photos look more descriptive and the later photos more dramatic.

I personally think adding a light source in front is more that what is needed. I'm sure everyone has their own opinion about making photos, but I'd try adding a reflector above the camera lens line and in front of the flowers. A piece of crinkled aluminum foil stretched over a piece of cardboard should add enough diffuse fill to perk up the interior of the flowers, but not be so harsh as to give unwanted hot spots and not so strong that the outer contours are lost in shadow. The reflector, of course, would reflect some of your diffuse light from the ceiling.

The flowers are gorgeous, by the way!

Believe me, that's a nice lowii.....while the petals on lowii are almost always good, the rest of the flower all too frequently is a colorless blank...you did good....Eric

My goodness, sick with the flu and look what I almost missed out on. Very, very nice photography of a gorgeous lowii. Thanks Matt.

Latest posts

Back