Paph lowii root rot

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I got a plant about 10-15 days ago:paph lowii. It was looking a bit Limp in the leaves.i unpoted it and the roots were all mushy and soft. There are two little stubs left. I was thinking to put it into leca balls and make a reservoir with a kelp root hormone. Is there a chance of saving it and what would be the best option to save it? Thanks so much!!!

Attachments

• 20230228_203201.jpg
    20230228_203201.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I am not sure if a constant dose of kelp increases the likelihood of rooting beyond the initial soaking or drench. But maybe other have additional thoughts here. If this was my plant I would soak or drench it in the kelp solution based on the mixing instructions. Use a twist tie wrapped around the base of the plant to provide support in the pot. You don't want the plant to wiggle while new roots attempt to grow and establish. The twist ties will serves as artificial roots of sorts. Given the size of the plant you may also want to provide additional support for the top of the plant. I use skewers in the front and the back of the plant.

The major hurdle you will face is helping the plant get enough moisture to survive long enough to produce new roots. You need to increase the humidity around the plant. The sphag and bag method works well to increase humidity. A search on the forum, google, or youtube will provide more directions if you need regarding this method. I have not been successful with this method but a lot of others have been.

For me, repotting with the supports mentioned above and then increasing the humidity around the plant in a chamber, which can be anything from a small fish tank, case, and a large plastic containers pre-washed salads come in. It is pretty much the same as the sph and bag without the bag and the plant is in a pot.

If this plant recovers, it is going to take a while.

Do you grow other plants in semi-hydro/Leca?

I am not sure if a constant dose of kelp increases the likelihood of rooting beyond the initial soaking or drench. But maybe other have additional thoughts here. If this was my plant I would soak or drench it in the kelp solution based on the mixing instructions.
I imagine that partially depends upon the kelp, as most are nothing more than "plant based fertilizer" with little or no growth regulating ability.

When using Kelpak, I definitely see a difference if I do two does in a row, or even two weeks apart, so I'd guess a prolonged exposure, meaning greater uptake, would be beneficial.

Try to return it, that is step one.

My personal go to for putting roots on a Paph is to use a fairly small pot. Maybe a 4” pot in this case. With a non existent root system, no need to go larger. I use a mix of seedling bark, perlite and charcoal. I pot it up with pieces of clay shards in the bottom of the pot and I fill half the depth of the pot with media. No roots, not need to go deeper with the media.
I keep them in lower light, 800-1,000 foot candles.
I don’t really water, again, no roots to absorb it. I stake the plant to steady it and I mist the plant every other day. I get the top of the media moist. Depending upon variety, I have seen new roots as early as 4 weeks, typically 80% of these plants show roots at 6 weeks, almost 100% at 8 weeks. I have had good luck doing this.
When roots appear, don’t be too anxious to pot it up. Let it really recover!
Good luck

Back