Paph lowii (New Horizon x Grand Masterpiece)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
Second flowering, one more flower than last time. I am astonished how vigorous this plant is. It took less than two years to flower from a small seedling and then the tiny new lead flowered a year later.

lowii%20NH%20x%20GM%202020.jpg

Great color! I have a flat of these from flask, but mine are still a couple years from flowering.

I have this cross too and agree that it is a fast grower when happy - mine gave me four blooms off a relatively small first growth. Unfortunately Ozpaph is also right, it seems to have little rot resistance. I had to hack off it’s second growth to save the plant and after finally nursing it to give two more new growths, one of those has rotted! Hard plant to mature...

I have this cross too and agree that it is a fast grower when happy - mine gave me four blooms off a relatively small first growth. Unfortunately Ozpaph is also right, it seems to have little rot resistance. I had to hack off it’s second growth to save the plant and after finally nursing it to give two more new growths, one of those has rotted! Hard plant to mature...

I also had a lowii 'Red Delight' x 'Grand Masterpiece' seedling which I grew to flowering size before it rotted. The person I bought it off told me he has rotted quite a few. So there is no doubt that these 'Grand Masterpiece' lowii crosses are very susceptible to rot. This particular plant I have growing in a basket. So maybe that helps. This species can be epiphytic.

I watched a few videos of these in nature from a orchid society member some years back she went borneo..they were growing in trees and rocks like catts but in lower light, some of the roots were exposed...hanging..

I wonder if the lowii aureums have this rot tendencies? So far my 4 plants are ok. Touch wood! :rolleyes:

I have a couple of others clones of lowii that I have had for 15 years or so and have never looked like rotting. For whatever reason these 'Grand Masterpiece' crosses from Sam are highly prone to rot. At the same time they seem to be much more vigorous than most other lowii's.

I have a couple of others clones of lowii that I have had for 15 years or so and have never looked like rotting. For whatever reason these 'Grand Masterpiece' crosses from Sam are highly prone to rot. At the same time they seem to be much more vigorous than most other lowii's.
Vigorous yet prone to rot. Almost like the two don't belong in the same sentence lol.

I guess they just need to dry out daily, as they drain faster on windy trees in nature.

Sam specifically says these need to be on the front of the bench... hanging seems like a good idea... i have 2 of 7 left... :-( and the 2 i have are still in 2" pots 3 years later..

Among my favorite multis for its colorful graceful flowers.
The dark backdrop works the best with these flowers!

Mine is in bloom and have to say the plant is tough as nail withstanding frequent (yet unintended) neglect and repeated underwatering.

Among my favorite multis for its colorful graceful flowers.
The dark backdrop works the best with these flowers!

Mine is in bloom and have to say the plant is tough as nail withstanding frequent (yet unintended) neglect and repeated underwatering.

The underwatering may have worked in your favour. :)

Awesome, curious what the dimensions are :).

They are not big. The two bottom flowers have dropped off (it is so hot here at the moment), so I had to measure the third flower which is about 15 cm across. Considering 'Grand Masterpiece' was awarded with an NS of 24 cm, my plant doesn't seem to have inherited its size. Nice still the same.

Latest posts

Back