Paph lowii (New Horizon x Grand Masterpiece)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
A first flowering seedling. Possibly, the most vigorous multi-floral in my collection. I bought it less than two years ago as a small seedling. I expected I would have to wait 5 or more years to flower it.

lowii.jpg

lowii%202.jpg

Very nice flowers with a ery intense colouration and when it also is vigorous, it's almost perfect. I would be very pleased if to grow it in my collection.

Nice color!

By the orientation of the blooms, was it growing horizontal, and staked up later? They just seem to be pointing up more than I've seen before.

Oh, David! That's a spectacular lowii - and what a great and vigorous grower! Congrats on its fast flowering - looking foreward to follow it in the future!

Is it one of Sam's (Orchid Inn) - or whence did you get it?

Kind regards,
Jens

I have one in spike too!! Lost 2 to rot.............
Good colour
sorry (but also glad - misery loves company) to hear that i bought 7 from Sam in the hopes of getting an extra nice outlier

none have flowered lost 3 to rot... :-(

i blame myself for the rot... humidity too high at night...

Oh, David! That's a spectacular lowii - and what a great and vigorous grower! Congrats on its fast flowering - looking foreward to follow it in the future!

Is it one of Sam's (Orchid Inn) - or whence did you get it?

Kind regards,
Jens

Thanks Jens. Yes, it is one of Sam"s crosses. I also had one of Sam's other lowii crosses 'Red Delight' x Grand Masterpiece'. It too was a very vigorous grower but I lost it to rot. A few Australians (note Stephens comments above) have found that these lowii crosses involving GM are very susceptible to rot. They seem to be growing great then out of nowhere they just rot.

Unlike the lowii I lost, this plant is growing in a basket which may help. My other recommendation would be to place the plant where it gets good air movement.

Last edited:
sorry (but also glad - misery loves company) to hear that i bought 7 from Sam in the hopes of getting an extra nice outlier

none have flowered lost 3 to rot... :-(

i blame myself for the rot... humidity too high at night...

You posted while I was writing my last post.

I don't think high humidity at night should be a problem. My glasshouse would almost never be below 100% humidity during the night. I find warmth and high humidity is more likely to promote rot.

Your experience has been shared by others, so it is not unique to you. I think it is important when growing these lowii crosses from Sam, that you factor in their susceptibility to rot. The plant I lost to rot, I had just repotted up into a larger pot and placed it in a location where it was a bit shadier with a little less air movement (which I normally do with my paphs). Not long after that it collapsed overnight with rot.

Given lowii can be epiphytic, I would really underpot it or grow it in baskets where the mix can dry out more quickly. Also grow it in a brighter location with vigorous air movement.

You posted while I was writing my last post.

I don't think high humidity at night should be a problem. My glasshouse would almost never be below 100% humidity during the night. I find warmth and high humidity is more likely to promote rot.

Your experience has been shared by others, so it is not unique to you. I think it is important when growing these lowii crosses from Sam, that you factor in their susceptibility to rot. The plant I lost to rot, I had just repotted up into a larger pot and placed it in a location where it was a bit shadier with a little less air movement (which I normally do with my paphs). Not long after that it collapsed overnight with rot.

Given lowii can be epiphytic, I would really underpot it or grow it in baskets where the mix can dry out more quickly. Also grow it in a brighter location with vigorous air movement.
Thanx for your empathy. :) I'd second the bright and vigorous air movement part...
That appears to have made a differnce.

Latest posts

Back