Paph. lowii from Sulawesi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camellkc

Reaction score
I wish to share this "new variety" of lowii with you. This variety was discovered 2-3 years ago in wild. According to my knowledge, it could only be found celebes forest at Indonesia until this moment (correct me if I am wrong). This new variety differs from ordinary lowii by noting denser and tiner dots at petals with usually larger portion of pink red color. In addition, the color of the dorsal is in light grass green color instead of darker green color of an ordinary lowii. However, may be the difference is not distinctive enough, no new variety name is now registered. Although you may not be able to note its special trait by just looking at my photo, if you compare it with an traditional lowii, you will see the difference easily.

IMG_1944.jpg

Is this what people call Paphiopedilum lowii var. lynniae? Great plant by the way!

Seems not. lowii var. lynniae is not a new thing. Also, by seeing the color of the dorsal, lynniae just like an ordinary lowii. I have asked a Thai friend who frequently imports plants from Indonesia that he got this only two to three years ago. Before that, he did not see this variety. I think the light grass green colored dorsal is the most obvious trait of this variety.

Latest posts

Back