Paph. lowii fm aureum ‘Mango’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm waiting for mine own lowii aureum to arrive today. USPS from Florida. Vendor says it left Monday with heat packs. Subfreezing temps here. USPS is overwhelmed, tracking is off and on. The Russians cyber attackers better not be messing with my shipment. I'll go after them !! I've signed up for message alert when delivered. Still checking every 15 minutes. Hope springs eternal. Just saying it would have been nice to have been offered alternate shipping methods.

I'm waiting for mine own lowii aureum to arrive today. USPS from Florida. Vendor says it left Monday with heat packs. Subfreezing temps here. USPS is overwhelmed, tracking is off and on. The Russians cyber attackers better not be messing with my shipment. I'll go after them !! I've signed up for message alert when delivered. Still checking every 15 minutes. Hope springs eternal. Just saying it would have been nice to have been offered alternate shipping methods.
This is the worst feeling! Worried and afraid for the orchids, that they are helpless against the cold and human foibles. Happened to me twice.

Once from an overnight shipment by UPS through a snowstorm (California to Cape Cod). Arrived 2 days later with ice on the box and plants felt like icicles. Luckily the heat packs lasted 48 hrs and the plants thawed out safely (open slowly to acclimatize to room air temperatures). Apparently overnight means 2.5 days to UPS.

Second, a shipment from Japan that Canada Post lost and had no clue where it was (in minus 20C February period!). I was aghast at their apathy and ineptness as to the exact location of this box of plants. I had to call them and customs multiple times before I located the box (luckily in indoor procession warehouse). Then had to call plant department to request a clearance. Seven days later!!! Ughhh... what a nightmare. Luckily plants survived the ordeal.

So I understand your emotions and stress at this time. I’m sending you a little luck to get this plant to arrive safe and sound.

This is the worst feeling! Worried and afraid for the orchids, that they are helpless against the cold and human foibles. Happened to me twice.

How very nice of you!! Thank you! It sounds like you're an old hand at this, and with shipments that sound very precious indeed. It was a little silly of me not to make special arrangements before ordering the plant and instead assuming it would all fall into place. Thanks for the tip on opening slowly.

Oh. Man. I was looking for another photo. Your lowii Mango has been insprational. Oh, I take it back. Just saw the ones on p.3. I love the love these photo show of your orchid.

Fourth and final flower is open finally! The first flower is already starting to senesce, so time to pollinate tomorrow.

I promise these will be the last set of pics of Mango lol (like a proud father, I tend to overpost 😆). She is putting on quite a show though.

C3B1A22A-6060-44B6-A689-1847FB94FB78.jpeg3F878745-D81C-4A0B-83C2-28044065ACE9.jpeg6D74CC2D-93A4-4563-94F7-560C91C1A4F6.jpegCB515E1C-EE04-4B38-ACD0-D729AA78DDDA.jpeg05A06F90-8ADF-47D8-A3D2-77C7DA539DEF.jpegC2051EAB-D37C-4EA8-9ACF-626CA3432EC8.jpeg5F009F63-8EB8-4B0D-8C1B-EC7077D38A77.jpeg

The last pic says ‘LOOK AT ME!’ 😂

Great closeups! I'm trying to think where else that yellow exists in orchids. There are some other yellow orchids, oncidinae obviously but most of those tend more towards gold. Maybe some anguolas - I haven't seen that many in real life. But that clear, early spring daffodil yellow is a hard act to follow. Possibly some of the callista dendrobiums?

Golden yellows are found also in the following besides the Oncidiinae Alliance (and the aforementioned Paph species):

Dendrobiums chysotoxum, lindleyii
Lycaste aromatica
Stanhopea wardii
Neofinetia kibana
Vanda denisoniana
Bulbophyllum carunculatum, lobbii, dearei

These are just some of them. There are many more.

However, the lowii aureum is quite a majestic sight to behold due to their rarity in shows.

Update: Mango has been pollinated today! On Christmas day.

One flower was selfed, while the second was sibbed by pollen from John Marcotte (lowii aureum ‘Albino Beauty’ x self, same as mine).

Fingers crossed they take! 🤞

Latest posts

Back