Paph. lowii (‘Red Delight’ x ‘Grand Masterpiece’ GM/WOC)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This lowii actually got rot after blooming last year…I’ve tried different methods for stopping rot once A plant is condemned with it…this time I doused the infected area with cinnamon and a lot of it. The main plant (with rot) had a young plant (blooming now) and the cinnamon stopped the infection. I have not had many success stories with rot but this worked
N.S. 17 cm. I think I’ll keep her!2AF42AFD-B04A-4E7C-8D3B-AD46DF9D3A1C.jpeg28BB35C4-6268-4F06-83C8-95B20AD6A035.jpeg

This lowii actually got rot after blooming last year…I’ve tried different methods for stopping rot once A plant is condemned with it…this time I doused the infected area with cinnamon and a lot of it. The main plant (with rot) had a young plant (blooming now) and the cinnamon stopped the infection. I have not had many success stories with rot but this worked
N.S. 17 cm. I think I’ll keep her!View attachment 33652View attachment 33653
Yet another stunner, Duck!
Good save too! Hail the cinnamon lol.
I can recommend a combination of 100% Dragon Blood (Croton Lechleri) and cinnamon for treating rot infection.

Dragon's blood and cinnamon has been my best chance after the fact. If you don't already, add a pinch of silicate to your feed water. Silica will get taken up and incorporated into the cellulose structure of the cells making it tougher for creators get in. You may also want to try citric acid, lemon juice concentrate in the feed water to drop the pH down around 6-6.5. Microorganisms don't do well in an acidic environment.

Yet another stunner, Duck!

I can recommend a combination of 100% Dragon Blood (Croton Lechleri) and cinnamon for treating rot infection.
Hello Guidal,
I have tried Dragons Blood, removing diseased plant material, repotting, regretfully it is usually a death sentence.
Dragon's blood and cinnamon has been my best chance after the fact. If you don't already, add a pinch of silicate to your feed water. Silica will get taken up and incorporated into the cellulose structure of the cells making it tougher for creators get in. You may also want to try citric acid, lemon juice concentrate in the feed water to drop the pH down around 6-6.5. Microorganisms don't do well in an acidic environment.
Hello Slipperking,
Since moving into a GH in October, I have two major culture changes...the GH, and switching to rainwater. Changing to the GH has been a huge culture change and learning experience. Changing to rainwater I should have done sooner. This old house has a cistern about 70 years old that I never used. Old farmhouse was converted to city water years ago. My rainwater is a 6.8 pH. Over the winter, I didn't have any rot...what form of silicate are you using?

Thank you for the profylactic advice, King! 1 ltr Silica for plants is on its way from Germany. How often do you add silica to your feed water?
Kind regards, Jens

Last edited:
No. They are Coconut orchids, Maxillaria tenufoilia. They are getting ready to meet the compost heap, haven’t bloomed in years. I’m about done with em.
AMEN. So seductive, so robust and promising…but then they never bloom again. I assume you’re in a temperate climate? I’m in Chicago. Have succumbed to that Coppertone-scented allure a few times. They bloom once, then it’s just a weird awkward tuft of gangly growth.

N.S. 17 cm. I think I’ll keep her!View attachment 33652View attachment 33653
She must be a keeper, well done.

AMEN. So seductive, so robust and promising…but then they never bloom again. I assume you’re in a temperate climate? I’m in Chicago. Have succumbed to that Coppertone-scented allure a few times. They bloom once, then it’s just a weird awkward tuft of gangly growth.
I have tried about everything I can think of....finally I decided they just won't bloom indoors, so in the greenhouse....I'm giving them till the end of May.

Put them outside in full southeast light in spring/summer. They might bloom then.
They have spent countless summers outside, in full sun...I have divided, over potted, potbound, cold chills, any and all tricks I know and don't know...Im getting mad at em thinking about it, they may not make it till the end of May.

Back