Paph Life Span

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

paphboy

I've collected a fair number of paphs and phrags over the last year, year and a half maybe, but something i've wondered and haven't been able to get an answer to as of yet is how long will a plant live. Let's say you had a common paph species and grew it under perfect conditions consistently. Every year it flowered and put out a few new growths. When will it eventually just kinda fizzle out? 20 years? 30 years? 100 years? Anyone?

I'm no expert, but I've got both species and hybrids with tags in pots that show repot dates all the way back to the 1940's and 1950's. More remarkable than the age of the plant is that these tags haven't disintegrated!

I don't think anyone could live long enough to ever find out. In perfect conditions, without any bacterial rots or diseases, I would say they could live until the sun explodes.

Jon
________
HASH HONEY OIL

Last edited:
I asked this same question once, and the answer that I got was; there are phrags that were wild-collected in the 50's that are still thriving in greenhouses today.

Keep in mind, that there are clones that have been around since the 19th century...Harrisianum "G.S.Ball" for example...I don't know how old Maudiae "Magnificum" is, but it has to be at least 100 years old...I have what I believe is the original clone of Olivia...a gorgeous paph, fortunately hardy...unfortunately doesn't approve of blooming though...It did once, and it was actually worth the wait...Take care, Eric

Latest posts

Back