Paph liemianum? mottled leaf

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulolo

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This flower is still opening so I hope to get a better spread but I had to share a pic because the coloring is awesome.
20200101_153454.jpg
20200101_153535.jpg
This is one of several mottled leaf varieties I've purchased the last couple of years when they should up on the market. I have a rather expensive one from Orchids Ltd. that's opening now that I'll share in a few days.
20200101_153421.jpg
Has anyone else flowered these? What info do we have on them?

When I got a liemianum fifteen+ years ago, it was a solid leaf. About ten or so years ago, I started seeing mottled leaf liemianum. When I asked folks about it, I was told that they can be mottled or solid green leaf

I've got one with nice mottled leaves that I picked up about a year ago. The flower is small but otherwise it looks like typical P. liemianum to me.

I have a mottled leaf Liemianum, and what I’ve learned with mine, is it requires tons of water!!, more than my Venustum’s do. I give mine decent light, with at least a 1/2 of direct sun, depending on the time of the year, and tons of water all year long.

Last edited:
That's a nice one, Jungle jewel. Is that an Orchids Ltd tag?
Here's mine from Orchids Ltd.
20200103_114146.jpg
20200103_114150.jpg
Don't know why the flower has a Pinocchio nose! This one has been a pain in the butt blasting most of its flowers. This is actually the 6th or 7th flower but only the 3rd to open. Flower needs a few more days to mature.

That's a nice one, Jungle jewel. Is that an Orchids Ltd tag?
Here's mine from Orchids Ltd.
View attachment 17544
View attachment 17545
Don't know why the flower has a Pinocchio nose! This one has been a pain in the butt blasting most of its flowers. This is actually the 6th or 7th flower but only the 3rd to open. Flower needs a few more days to mature.
Yes mine is from Orchid’s Ltd. I have a book on Orchid’s of Sumatra, and there are a few pictures of pure Liemianum, both solid green and mottled leaf, growing side by side in the wild.

Here are pics of the two flowers after a week or more open.
20200110_124355.jpg 20200108_143534.jpg
Admittedly I was hoping that these might turn out to be dodyanum since they showed up on the market about the time dodyanum was described.
I wonder if anyone has compared DNA from dodyanum and liemianum or even moquettianum since their (dody. & moquett.) dorsal sepals look similar in pics?

Latest posts

Back