Paph leucochilum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Below is a photo of Paph leucochilum '950721' x leucochilum 'Account Ruby'. I've been watching this plant bud up in the greenhouse but some chipmunks got in and dug in many of the pots including this one. This is a single growth first bloom seedling with a leaf span of about 5 1/2 inches. The natural spread on the flower is 6 1/2 c.m. When I pulled the plant to bring it inside today I saw that the chipmunks had removed the top quarter of the bark. It just opened within the last few days so may lighten up in color slightly. I put a stick in the pot to pull the flower back slightly so Donna could get a better photo but the stem is self supporting. Upon reviewing the photo it appears that the flower is perfectly flat, which it is not. Not really cupped but not flat like the judges enjoy. I personally, prefer a round semi flat flower and that is what you have here.

578-6Paphleuchochilum.jpg

Very nice! Thanks for sharing it with us. I have stayed away from Brachy's for the most part, but need to pick up a few more of these cool species. I seem to be doing ok with P. concolor & that has given me more confidence with this group.

Great shape Bob and the pattern is an eye catcher as well. I have one in bud all summer, not sure it's will make it or not.

Leo, thanks for sharing your photo as well. Yes, this is a nice cross. I went back over my records and I bought 8 of this cross from the wholesaler after buying a few from our own Potterychief and that was about 18 months ago.

I love this flower Bob. I totally agree that a flower can be too flat and now with the Asian breeding too round! What is this obsession with roundness and flatness. With some you can barley make out the petals etc. Ok try to breed good quality spp. but don't change their natural character!!
Maybe the concept of a good natural flower is too hard to pin down so the judges just say ''well round and flat as a dinner plate must be best''. Well I for one say NO!

Mike

Latest posts

Back