Paph Leeanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So true! I've never seen a Paph in a supermarket though. Mostly phals, with the occasional oncidium.
Same situation right here (in my region) thousands of classic insigne were produced every year and now you hardly can find one!

Your leanum has vivid glossy and dark colours.
I Like it.
May you show the plant please?

How do you guys grow yours? Cold or intermediate? Bought one last spring but the roots and compost were full of mealybugs. No flowers for me this year.

How do you guys grow yours? Cold or intermediate? Bought one last spring but the roots and compost were full of mealybugs. No flowers for me this year.
Mine stands together with gratrixianum (4 spikes) and insigne (5 spikes) and seem to like it intermediate under my care.

Mine stands together with gratrixianum (4 spikes) and insigne (5 spikes) and seem to like it intermediate under my care.
Thanks Hansen, your intermediate night time low Is about 12/13*C or some more?

I got one Leeanum and in the winter temperatures drop to 12*C in the GH. Now has one spike

I got my plant last year as a seedling from Marlow’s. It lives in my basement tent under LED’s. I try to keep humidity at least 60%, but it dips a bit during very cold spells. Summer temps are around 80F, and winter temps sometimes get down around 60F at night, because I don’t heat the basement to the same temp as the main part of the house. I repotted it to a mix of coco chips and pumice this spring, and it seems to like that combination.

Attachments

• 1F251E3B-B7B3-4893-9580-91629F3C8716.jpeg
    1F251E3B-B7B3-4893-9580-91629F3C8716.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 5AB6A30B-B57A-44F1-889C-3E2598D2ABDE.jpeg
    5AB6A30B-B57A-44F1-889C-3E2598D2ABDE.jpeg
    267.8 KB · Views: 8
It's a quite old hybrid, registered in 1884, but nevertheless a very good one ...
Rudolf, I would refer to it as a 'classic' hybrid, which it is for certain, rather than an 'old' one (sounds a bit too much like 'old hat' for my taste). Besides I agree with what has been said about the nice colours of the shoe and the petals of your flower, Anna- and overall it has a very harmonious form!

I wouldn't worry too much about temperature, as hybrids like this in my experience are quite adaptable and characterized by hybrid vigour with respect to growth as well as flowering. The one parent, P. spicerianum grows and flowers perfectly in room tempetature - the other, P. insigne, though, needs a dip in temperature to enhance flowering (with the exception of polyploid plants of this species, that unabashed flowers without problems at living room tempetature!)

Kind regards,
Jens

Last edited:
I got my plant last year as a seedling from Marlow’s. It lives in my basement tent under LED’s. I try to keep humidity at least 60%, but it dips a bit during very cold spells. Summer temps are around 80F, and winter temps sometimes get down around 60F at night, because I don’t heat the basement to the same temp as the main part of the house. I repotted it to a mix of coco chips and pumice this spring, and it seems to like that combination.
Thanks Anna!!!

Rudolf, I would refer to it as a 'classic' hybrid, which it is for certain, rather than an 'old' one (sounds a bit too much like 'old hat' for my taste).......

Jens, I think we both are right, because 'old' in my statement ment 'old of years' not 'old fashioned'. Only few old hybrids became 'classical hybrids' and its the same today. The way is long to become a classical hybrid.

Rudolf, I would refer to it as a 'classic' hybrid, which it is for certain, rather than an 'old' one (sounds a bit too much like 'old hat' for my taste). Besides I agree with what has been said about the nice colours of the shoe and the petals of your flower, Anna- and overall it has a very harmonious form!

I wouldn't worry too much about temperature, as hybrids like this in my experience are quite adaptable and characterized by hybrid vigour with respect to growth as well as flowering. The one parent, P. spicerianum grows and flowers perfectly in room tempetature - the other, P. insigne, though, needs a dip in temperature to enhance flowering (with the exception of polyploid plants a-åof this species, that unabashed flowers without problems at living room tempetature!)

Kind regards,
Jens
Thank you Jen!
Mine was a nice plants when I bought, at least so It seemed, then 3 months later I noticed It was not growing at all. I unpotted It and discover there were 3 divisions with black roots and abundance of mealy. **** happens sometime.

Jens, I think we both are right, because 'old' in my statement ment 'old of years' not 'old fashioned'. Only few old hybrids became 'classical hybrids' and its the same today. The way is long to become a classical hybrid.
My comment was with my tongue in cheek! ;)
According to Napa Valley Orchid Society's homepage, they agree with both of us being in the right, as they about P. Leeanum write: "This plant is an orchid classic - a very old primary hybrid raised in Britain ..." (the Italics are mine) 😁

Back