Paph. Lathamianum and Freckles

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue

evil genius
Reaction score
Lathamianum = (spicerianum x villosum). As you can see, this one is growing in a deli container. This, of course, mirrors its natural, evolutionarily established environment, as both parent species are delicontaineriphytes. You can see the back of the second bloom on the top there.

and Freckles 'Cream Puff' HCC/AOS. I'm actually thinking about crossing these two. What do you think? Have you seen a cross of this kind before? I'm not sure if I have.

Deli containers are the Best! I always save the clear ones and modify them into pots :)

delicontaineriphytes

I like that word. I have quite a few delicontaineriphytes.

The cross should be interesting. What do you expect from the progeny?

I'm not sure. I'm actually not sure I'm doing this cross – but I understand that Paph. Freckles 'Cream Puff' HCC/AOS is a good pod parent, so it seems a shame not to try some cross or other. From what I've seen of this kind of cross (http://slipperorchids.info/paphprimaries/index.html#brachypaph – I've never seen this kind of intersectional in person, I don't think), the villosum/boxallii/insigne-type species are very dominant.

My other options for pollen parents are the big yellow complex in the other thread, a (barbigerum x Winston Churchill), or a somewhat strange Berenice.

Alternately, if anybody has some pollen they'd like to send me, I can send Freckles' pollen in trade. More than anything else, I'd love to cross it onto a kolo or sanderianum (or similar hybrids), or a druryi.

A lot of what you are proposing for crosses is, umm, thinking politely here, speculative. However, crossing Freckles with the (henryanum xWC cross), if it is as nice as the ones I've seen, would be a pretty interesting cross, unless you dislike pink. Freckles is a terrific grex and one of my favorites, we have quite a few cultivars and are always happy to find one we don't have to add to the collection (we do have "Cream Puff")

A lot of what you are proposing for crosses is, umm, thinking politely here, speculative. However, crossing Freckles with the (henryanum xWC cross), if it is as nice as the ones I've seen, would be a pretty interesting cross, unless you dislike pink. Freckles is a terrific grex and one of my favorites, we have quite a few cultivars and are always happy to find one we don't have to add to the collection (we do have "Cream Puff")

Bob - thanks for your thoughts on this. The WC cross is actually (barbigerum x WC) - there are pics here:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6659

Myself, I think any of these crosses would be interesting. I do personally tend towards being interested in "speculative" or, less politely, "bizarre and potentially hideous" crosses. But I do like pinks, and it'd probably have some nice spotting . . .

It would be a nice cross, and trust me, some will still be "bizarre and potentially hideous", but pink flushed petals and soft pink spots on the dorsal ... you'd have both worlds

I really like your Lathamianum. There were two of these at the RHS London show and there were rather different from each other ... one looked more like yours.

Nice Lathmanianum! I like that one! I'm trying to get a lot of primaries, and I'm glad I found this one. I like mine. I'm now waiting to bloom my Leeanum.

Go for it! Make the cross. It will be fascinating to see if the dark purple streaks in the dorsal sepal and 2 petals would be carried over onto a light pink/yellowy plant with purple freckles gracing the sepals and petals along the purple streaks. Could make for a striking flower.

I'm dying with curiosity---and may well be dead from old age before any flowers appear (unless my research is a sucess and I stop aging dead in its tracks).

Cool photos btw.

Oh, I did try it, way back when this thread started up. The cross didn't take, unfortunately.

Lathamianum = (spicerianum x villosum). As you can see, this one is growing in a deli container. This, of course, mirrors its natural, evolutionarily established environment, as both parent species are delicontaineriphytes. You can see the back of the second bloom on the top there.

...and Freckles 'Cream Puff' HCC/AOS. I'm actually thinking about crossing these two. What do you think? Have you seen a cross of this kind before? I'm not sure if I have.

Actually, Freckles is a cross of that kind itself. Since spicerianum and villosum are both in the ancestry of Freckles, and Freckles' brachy influence is 2 generations back and would be further diluted, I'd expect the results of this cross to look mostly like Lathanianum. A few of the best might take after Freckles in color and form. A few might be more like a classic 'bulldog' paph if they get Lathanianum's color and Freckles' form. Are those the results you were hoping for?

Latest posts

Back