Paph Lady roth x anitum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehanes7612

Reaction score
well, I tried to sell this a few months ago before the spike showed up but no takers, ...ya snooze, ya lose

Attachments

• IMG-8097.JPG
    IMG-8097.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG-8098.JPG
    IMG-8098.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 54
Doubtful, but I wont be attempting to sell anymore on ST and this will probably be my last thread on ST. Switching over to FB to sell and post my phrags. This forum is obsolete.

Last edited:
dunno what exactly it is about facebook... but having participated in a bunch of orchid groups on facebook, i've not seen the kind of valuable content generated by the group members that i've seen here on the forum. If ones' desire is seeing pretty plants, then yes, facebook appears to be a more current technology that folks are using to do that... but that's about the extent of the content. I for one hope that the folks on this forum don't evaporate in favor of mere picture posting and "wow that's nice" posts...

dunno what exactly it is about facebook... but having participated in a bunch of orchid groups on facebook, i've not seen the kind of valuable content generated by the group members that i've seen here on the forum. If ones' desire is seeing pretty plants, then yes, facebook appears to be a more current technology that folks are using to do that... but that's about the extent of the content. I for one hope that the folks on this forum don't evaporate in favor of mere picture posting and "wow that's nice" posts...

I bet if you do a study of ST , you will find a statistically relevant number of people who only enjoy ST for the pictures...my guess is that a majority of those on ST are here mostly for the pictures, if not just for the pictures. This was the only forum for posting pictures of slipper orchids for over a decade. But what's the point of joining a forum when you can find those pictures on a platform that you use daily for other reasons?

And for those who are here more for the information...well, over the years, there has been quite a bit of drama on orchid subjects alone..especially earlier on (from what I have heard from others..IDK myself, as I was a late comer to ST..joined in 2008...but I do remember people who have authored books on slippers being quite pissed for what they see as disrespect on this forum). I have also heard from professional growers who avoid ST like the plague.

There wasn't an auction this year...that may say something about the state of affairs with this forum.

and as far as FB, I have seen a growing number of people asking for/sharing cultural information...FB groups also tend to actively moderate the content much moreso than on ST

You have decided to make your life better, good for you!! I will be posting here till.......

There are a few professional growers on Facebook, but they are not there to share or gain information, they're there for marketing purposes. Posting pictures of pretty flowers draws sales from a bigger population.

I have a "Growing Orchids in Semi-Hydroponics" group on FB, and if you think folks research posts more there before asking the same questions over and over, you're nuts. Likewise, the level of the civility is determined by the personality of the posters and the rigidity of the moderators.

There are a few professional growers on Facebook, but they are not there to share or gain information, they're there for marketing purposes. Posting pictures of pretty flowers draws sales from a bigger population.

I have a "Growing Orchids in Semi-Hydroponics" group on FB, and if you think folks research posts more there before asking the same questions over and over, you're nuts. Likewise, the level of the civility is determined by the personality of the posters and the rigidity of the moderators.

I agree

I haven't been on this forum for awhile. Sometimes life gets in the way. But I have found this forum to be a serious place for information, and must say, I am a better grower for all I've learned here.

This has been a very informative forum for me...I have asked a few questions and everyone has been very helpful. I have used the search function quite a bit, and most if not all of my lack of knowledge/questions have already been addressed. Thanks to everyone that has helped!

I want to see your paph in full bloom, it is a good cross, please post when it's open!! Thanks

I think what you were asking is the same as what everybody else has been asking, it shouldn't matter what the sellers name is if thats what it's going for, oh crap I said too much, I will probably get attacked then get kicked off lol..

Was it the political nonsense that drove everyone away?

I still check back every few days but seems like this forum is pretty much done. Shocking dropoff compared the activity 10 or even 6 years ago.

Shocking dropoff compared the activity 10 or even 6 years ago.

Maybe slipper growers are somewhat a species threatened by extinction?

Organized orchid growers as such seem to be...I've been told, that in western Europe the finnish orchid society has been the only one that over the last few years has grown in membership numbers - in other countries the influx of members do not make up for the departures... and 'departures' sadly have to be taken quite litteral!

Quite a few vendors at the Dresdner Ostern said, that they didn't sell as many paphs as they did years before - I don't know whether this is due to a few of the bigger vendors, maybe, having monopolised the market? Or because fads and fashion in orchids have changed markedly?

Who knows, maybe, we sort of will be next on the CITES list?!

Latest posts

Back