Paph. Krull's Worthy Web 'Aldarra', FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a hybrid we have already been shown by at least two other growers here, Bob's plant
and another wonderful cultivar in this thread: Fren's plant

I have seen several others in bloom and there hasn't been one yet that I wouldn't want on my bench. They are all very nice.

First, the parents:
charlesxhsinying1.jpg

Paph. charlesworthii 'Hooded', AM/AOS has one of the most well-developed dorsals with pure solid color of any Paph. charlesworthii ever. It also has the widest petals, I believe, of any cultivar ever awarded.

Paph. Hsinying Web 'Jim Krull', AM/AOS is Paph. (Pulsar x Cyberspace).
It is an extremely vigorous mottled leaf hybrid consisting mostly of Paph. callosum and Paph. lawrenceanum genes that have been massaged over and over again for multiple generations with minor intermittent contributions from other mottled leaf species, including Paph. curtisii, along the way. This particular cultivar has a very full, elegant form and magnificent color.

Hybridizers have experimented with Paph. charlesworthii as a parent for many years, experiencing mixed results in some cases, and once in awhile coming up with some absolutely outstanding crosses. Some that come to mind would be Paph. Rosy Peacock (Ruby Leopard x charlesworthii), Paph. Western Sky (Yerba Buena x charlesworthii), and Paph. Krull's Worthy Web (Hsinying Web x charlesworthii) pictured below:

kwwaldarra.jpg

I acquired this plant from Krull-Smith in Miami at the 19th World Orchid Conference in January, 2008. At the time it was a 6" single-growth seedling in a 2.25" pot. There were very few available and I was lucky to get even one. Since then, it has been growing it under lights with my seedling trays. (I'm not sure why - it just ended up there. There is no special reason I had it under lights other than that is where it landed when I needed top bench space for something else.) It bloomed last year, but it seemed like leaving it under the lights had a negative effect on the flowers as they were smallish and poorly formed. This year as soon as the buds began to emerge, I moved it up to a surface bench where it received natural light as the inflorescences grew and matured. With the flowers over a month old, we took the plant to our AOS regional judging in Seattle last week, where the AOS judges offered high praise for the way the Paph. charlesworthii parent worked its magic with this cross and in this particular plant.

One comment on the Award Form was as follows: "Commended for deep, intense color, glossy finish and exceptionally flat dorsal."

As a side note - I would encourage everyone to identify the location and judging dates for your AOS regional judging centers, and mark those dates way in advance on your calendar. You never know when you'll have something in bloom at just the right time to take and present for evaluation by some folks who really know what they're looking at. I promise you'll learn something and you'll meet friendly, knowledgeable people.

Wonderful plant, Of course mine tend to be judging shy and make sure they show their glory right before or AFTER a judging date. Booo....

Candace - no kidding! That's how it has been for me 99% of the time over the last 25 years. You either have to drive hundreds of miles to another judging center or just hope for better timing next year. In the case of this plant - the flowers looked this good for the PREVIOUS month's judging. I just didn't think to take it in before I realized I had missed the date.

awesome plant scott. absolutely gotta love that dorsal and the color. that charlesworthii is just ridiculous. as for judging i have long said that we would have more than twice the awards than we do now if it wasnt for the timing factor. realistically most people who want to exhibit something have to have it open and in perfect condition on only one of 12 nites out of the entire year. my favorite is having something decline two days before judging or pop open the day after judging..

i couldve sworn i heard one of the judges kept saying the dorsal was too big (on the Krull's Worthy Web)...

I remember that now, Ed, that's what you told me - but I didn't hear it. I dunno, but I really wonder if they might not have been joking. It's a Paph. charlesworthii hybrid. Hard to imagine a dorsal "too big."

2 great parents (esp. charlesw.), and an excellent plant you have grown in 2 years :drool: from that 1 growth seedling!!!! Congratulations Scott!!!! Jean

I remember that now, Ed, that's what you told me - but I didn't hear it. I dunno, but I really wonder if they might not have been joking. It's a Paph. charlesworthii hybrid. Hard to imagine a dorsal "too big."

i just thought it was funny.....its def a worthy flower and nicely grown, makes me want to grow charlesworthii

I was hoping you would share photos. This is an amazing plant :clap: :drool: :clap:. I took notice from across the room, so definitely has the WOW factor.

Susan

Thank you Scott for bringing this lovely plant into judging. It is probably the best Paph charlesworthii hybrid I have ever seen and was very worthy of the award. The very full and FLAT dorsal was the highlight of the flower, but all of the parts blended well for an marvelous result. These flowers were open for a month and still retained the flatness.......

i couldve sworn i heard one of the judges kept saying the dorsal was too big (on the Krull's Worthy Web)...

LOL, you shouldn't take everything they say as the literal truth unless you know them fairly well. This comment was probably said as a compliment rather than a negative comment.

I normally don't really care too much for charlesworthii and it's hybirds. But this one: is sensational.

Latest posts

Back