Paph. Krull's Jealous Prince

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a cross of Paphiopedilum (Pacific Shamrock x Sorcerer's Stone) made by Frank Smith in 2008 and registered, well... yesterday. I brought a flask home from the International Slipper Orchid Symposium a few years ago and this is the first to flower. It has everything I love about green complex paphs: It is large with heavy substance, brilliant color, balanced proportions, excellent form and even though the angle of the photo doesn't show it well, a good-sized synsepal. It's also without the little pointy "warts" that sometimes show up on green complex hybrids, especially those with Paph. Peter Black in the background. Another bonus for me is there is no funky little "beak" on the front lip of the pouch that so many complex greens have. I'm really looking forward to seeing the flower quality this single-growth seedling will produce on a mature multi-growth plant in a few years.

paph-kjp.jpg

P.S. - Howzabout that gorgeous October blue sky in Seattle this year?

Interesting that your lead focused on the absence of negatives rather than the presence of positives! It is simply WOW! Congratulations. Symmetrical, glossy texture, good substance, balance, shape, .... He'll I could go on and on!

Interesting that your lead focused on the absence of negatives rather than the presence of positives! It is simply WOW! Congratulations. Symmetrical, glossy texture, good substance, balance, shape, .... He'll I could go on and on!

Uh oh. I apologize for negative part. I suppose it's my passive aggressive approach to orchid selection. With so many fabulous hybrids available to us, most with so many very positive characteristics, sometimes it is easier to differentiate with a short list of "fatal flaw" disqualifiers.

I tend to look for those disqualifiers in a complex flower too. Well, I can't find anything wrong with this flower, this is just how a green complex should be. Fantastic!

Back