Paph. kolopakingii var. topperi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Camellkc, I am an Associate AOS judge in the Toronto judging centre, doing my last year before full accreditation. Luckily I’m a very open minded, research and fact oriented kinda judge, who looks not only at perfection but also at the intrinsic value of the flowers and plant. So I’m approachable and diplomatic in my judging and discussion. I’m a new breed of judge, training from several experienced judges from all over the world. That’s why I was in Japan to judge the GrandPrix Dome orchid show. In fact our Paph judging team sent a blue ribbon plant to win the GrandPrix Champion this year.
Nice to hear that you are one of the judges in AOS. I will send you the details tomorrow via PM. I will give you the measurements as same as those requirements for TIOS and TPS in Taiwan. Much appreciated if you could give me some idea on the quality of my monster then.

Yes Camellkc, I am an Associate AOS judge in the Toronto judging centre, doing my last year before full accreditation. Luckily I’m a very open minded, research and fact oriented kinda judge, who looks not only at perfection but also at the intrinsic value of the flowers and plant. So I’m approachable and diplomatic in my judging and discussion. I’m a new breed of judge, training from several experienced judges from all over the world. That’s why I was in Japan to judge the GrandPrix Dome orchid show. In fact our Paph judging team sent a blue ribbon plant to win the GrandPrix Champion this year.

cannot send a private message to you so that I just post out here.

Flower measurement:
Upper DS: 3.2 cm (straight measurement from the left most point to the right most point) x 5.8 cm
Lower DS: 3.5 cm (straight measurement from the left most point to the right most point) x 7 cm
Petal length: 10.1 cm
NS: 14.8 cm
Pouch diameter: 1.7 cm
Flower Spike height: 90 cm for 8 flower count spike and 83 cm for the 6 flower count spike.

Plant measurement:
Largest Leave: 52 cm x 11 cm
Longest Leaf Span: 93 cm
Current plant status: 2 flowering growths plus 1 medium large growth plus 3 new growths plus 3 flowered old growths.

welcome to make a judgement and propose a score that it can obtain.

Attachments

• FBC6279D-C66A-44CA-8871-D5968421A953.jpeg
    FBC6279D-C66A-44CA-8871-D5968421A953.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 5653C78D-DC32-4EF0-8149-52FB74C60122.jpeg
    5653C78D-DC32-4EF0-8149-52FB74C60122.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 6863CFD4-F27A-4C8B-86DE-FFFE03116ABB.jpeg
    6863CFD4-F27A-4C8B-86DE-FFFE03116ABB.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 19
  • BB92065A-97BB-4040-A265-ED773129E18E.jpeg
    BB92065A-97BB-4040-A265-ED773129E18E.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 18
  • C8F739B1-145C-4663-A0F4-7EF75F243421.jpeg
    C8F739B1-145C-4663-A0F4-7EF75F243421.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 3A1347B2-1DAF-44FF-8DEF-889AEA308004.jpeg
    3A1347B2-1DAF-44FF-8DEF-889AEA308004.jpeg
    268.1 KB · Views: 21
Hi Camellkc, thanks for the measurements. As this is just an exercise on the AOS point system, my worksheet below is just a guesstimate and is no way representative of what the AOS judges will do on a given day. They may or may not score at all. So don't quote me on this as a sure sign that it will receive what I say below. It takes a minimum of 3 certified AOS judges on a sanctioned event or show to screen, analyze and score an award. I am only one LOL. (This is my disclaimer and not liable for what is stated below)

I will post size comparisons with a recent HCC called 'Kent's Choice' in June 6th, 2015 (no AM since then except for albinistic form) awarded in Toronto:

Flower measurement:
Upper DS: 3.2 cm x 5.8 cm (3.3 cm x 12.0 cm)
Lower DS: 3.5 cm x 7 cm (none posted)
Petal length: 10.1 cm (1.0 cm x 12.0 cm)
NS: 14.8 cm (12.0 cm)
Pouch diameter: 1.7 cm (not posted)

The only cultural award was to 'Riopelle' FCC/AOS with a CCE of 93 points in 1996! Comparison below:

Plant measurement:
Largest Leave: 52 cm x 11 cm (26 x 11 cm)
Longest Leaf Span: 93 cm (none)
Flower Spike height: 90 cm for 8 flower count spike and 83 cm for the 6 flower count spike, 9 flowers and one bud on one spike (Riopelle with a 91 cm spike with 19 flowers and 12 buds on 3 spike)
Current plant status: 2 flowering growths plus 1 medium large growth plus 3 new growths plus 3 flowered old growths. (8 growths)

So based on the comparison, the flower quality scoring may be from 78-82, average 80 pt AM (on my estimate, but of course it may change based on judges present). Reasoning? Good size spread, floriferousness, short dorsal, medium color
Culture wise, I would estimate it to receive between 80-85 points CCM.
All this is subject to flower freshness, judges experiences, and plant cleanliness.
Nonethelss, your is well grown and flowered specimen.

I would love input from other judges around the world.

Hi Camellkc, thanks for the measurements. As this is just an exercise on the AOS point system, my worksheet below is just a guesstimate and is no way representative of what the AOS judges will do on a given day. They may or may not score at all. So don't quote me on this as a sure sign that it will receive what I say below. It takes a minimum of 3 certified AOS judges on a sanctioned event or show to screen, analyze and score an award. I am only one LOL. (This is my disclaimer and not liable for what is stated below)

I will post size comparisons with a recent HCC called 'Kent's Choice' in June 6th, 2015 (no AM since then except for albinistic form) awarded in Toronto:

Flower measurement:
Upper DS: 3.2 cm x 5.8 cm (3.3 cm x 12.0 cm)
Lower DS: 3.5 cm x 7 cm (none posted)
Petal length: 10.1 cm (1.0 cm x 12.0 cm)
NS: 14.8 cm (12.0 cm)
Pouch diameter: 1.7 cm (not posted)

The only cultural award was to 'Riopelle' FCC/AOS with a CCE of 93 points in 1996! Comparison below:

Plant measurement:
Largest Leave: 52 cm x 11 cm (26 x 11 cm)
Longest Leaf Span: 93 cm (none)
Flower Spike height: 90 cm for 8 flower count spike and 83 cm for the 6 flower count spike, 9 flowers and one bud on one spike (Riopelle with a 91 cm spike with 19 flowers and 12 buds on 3 spike)
Current plant status: 2 flowering growths plus 1 medium large growth plus 3 new growths plus 3 flowered old growths. (8 growths)

So based on the comparison, the flower quality scoring may be from 78-82, average 80 pt AM (on my estimate, but of course it may change based on judges present). Reasoning? Good size spread, floriferousness, short dorsal, medium color
Culture wise, I would estimate it to receive between 80-85 points CCM.
All this is subject to flower freshness, judges experiences, and plant cleanliness.
Nonethelss, your is well grown and flowered specimen.

I would love input from other judges around the world.
Thank you for your estimation and comments. One point to note, there may be a flaw on the upper dorsal length as it seems kolopakingii has a vertical length of upper dorsal more than 10 cm is not realistic. But if it counts the length between the toppest and lowest points between the upper and the lower dorsal, it is realistic.

Anyway thanks a lot for your comments and I have confident for it to score at least 75 points under the judging systems in AOS and other places such as TIOS.

Last edited:
Welcome, it was fun to do research.

I suspect the measurements may be wrong with the DS length and that is why it matters little as it is only 5 points (I gave it 3.5). Also when you measure the floral parts (like petals) in AOS, you actually flatten against the ruler. Only the natural spreads of the overall flower is done without flattening the flower.

Welcome, it was fun to do research.

I suspect the measurements may be wrong with the DS length and that is why it matters little as it is only 5 points (I gave it 3.5). Also when you measure the floral parts (like petals) in AOS, you actually flatten against the ruler. Only the natural spreads of the overall flower is done without flattening the flower.
I know this difference between AOS and TIOS/TPS. I only measure the Dorsal without flattening it, just tally with what is doing in Taiwan. If it is flattened, the size is over 3.6 cm, I am very sure.

Latest posts

Back