Paph. Jupiter (?)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
Saw this plant at the show yesterday and thought it was really beautiful, but when I came home and looked up what the hybrid is, I learned it was rothschildianum x hookerae. Anyone see any hookerae in this?

I was lying in bed just now thinking maybe it was Houghtoniae (roth. x hayn.) But when I looked it up Houghtonoiae tends to be more red with a petal stance more reminiscent of Julius. Those spots seem like they should be indicating the other parent though, which made me be thinking about haynaldianum....:confused:

Any thoughts? Ideas? Possibilities?
Thanks!

jupiterke8.jpg

Looks like Iantha Stage (roths x sukhakulii), or Booth's Roths-Stage (roths x Iantha Stage) to me. Garnet Crown (roths x wardii) could be another possibility.

The petal tips could have come from hookerae.

Personally that flower doesn't do much for me, but that might be just me. Any roth hybrid is impressive.

there's a picture of roths x hookerae on ebay, kind of looks like it but not really (search under paph rothschildianum x hookerae).

I say not really because I don't see the spoon-shaped petals in your photo, Heather. the caveat is that I have seen exactly one picture of Paph Jupiter. doesn't really look like Houghtoniae to me either. it does seem from the dorsal that it might have some Maudiae-type in it? but there are only a few sources for pink-tipped petals.

I just bought one of these but has a while to go before blooming.Supposed to be BS tho'.:rollhappy: Yeah right!

Hi Heather,

I have what I think is a Paph Jupiter and I'll post the photo. I had posted this on the OSF at least a year or more ago, and still have the photos. The members there thought that this was a Paph Jupiter. This flower definitely has the hookerae influence, but the other parent looks more like lowii than a roth.

Now, I'm not sure what I have. But I do like the flower alot, anyway.

Jupiter2.jpg

Heather said:
Yeah, definitely see the hookerae in that one Susan!
Did you get to the MOS show, or will you?

Hi Heather,

For some reason, I could not get the photo to show. Did you fix it??? If so, Thanks!!!! Definitely hookerae in that cross. I'm just wondering whether the other parent was lowii and not roth.

As for the MOS, no I didn't go. It's raining and storming like crazy up here.

Latest posts

Back