Paph Jade Dragon

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was walking through the greenhouse this morning and realized I had not taken a picture of this guy. I couldn't remember if it was normally this yellow or if the flower was just fading, so I pulled up a couple of previous photos of the same flower.

Today's picture

Pictures from a previous blooming

I've always liked this cross, (malipoense X fairrieanum), so I just threw some fairrieanum pollen on Paph malipoense 'Dunce Cap' (see Paph maipoense thread)

I am curious to know whether it is yellowish this time or it is fading as you say. I guess you will find out in just a few days maybe??

When my fairrieanum was in bloom in early January, my malipoense was still in tight bud, but I did have Norito Hasegawa, so I put fairri pollen on to NH. The pod has been slowly developing. :)

I hope something green and yellow and everything in between come out of it! :)

I am curious to know whether it is yellowish this time or it is fading as you say. I guess you will find out in just a few days maybe??

When my fairrieanum was in bloom in early January, my malipoense was still in tight bud, but I did have Norito Hasegawa, so I put fairri pollen on to NH. The pod has been slowly developing. :)

I hope something green and yellow and everything in between come out of it! :)

Should create an interesting flower. I'd be interested in a flask if you have them available in a year or two.

Should create an interesting flower. I'd be interested in a flask if you have them available in a year or two.

Sure!
Now, I wonder how long I should wait before harvesting.
It's green so far so the monitoring of color change should be easier than other pods I have going, which are basically all dark.

Sure!
Now, I wonder how long I should wait before harvesting.
It's green so far so the monitoring of color change should be easier than other pods I have going, which are basically all dark.

For green pod sowing, wait around six months. The pods can split anywhere from 7-11 months for dry pod sowing. I also usually wait for the pod to just start yellowing.

Thanks.
I heard different things and it's rather confusing.

Once a pod turns yellow, can it still be used as green pod sowig?
Do I need to harvest immediately once I see this color change?
What about the dark colored pods?

And last, which Flasking service do you use unless you have your own lab?

I had one that changed quite alot in the last week or so before it dropped.

Your colour transition is far more dramatic than what I recall from my blooms.

Could be a combination of bloom age and cultural changes such as fert.?

Nice Jade Dragon, instead of remaking the cross, I would put armeniacum on the Jade Dragon, and try to pick up the yellow in the flower.

Latest posts

Back