Paph. Jack Tonkin 'Val's Choice' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
A great clone. The plant is vigorous and has an awesome white flower. There is just a touch of a rose blush. I love it!

Thanks Bob. I'm a terrible photographer but trying to get better while still using my cell phone lol.

A cross of McLaren Park 'San Mateo' AM/AOS and F.C. Puddle 'Superbum', this grex was made and registered by Rod McClellan's for their valued customer W. Jack Tonkin in 1966. Tonkin was just getting started breeding plants himself at the time, and was noted by the short-lived journal The Paphiopedilum World was having a keen eye for picking winners in bud, for example the numerous awarded clones of Tommie Hanes, all purchased in bud by Tonkin at McClellans then awarded. Tonkin himself made few crosses, but some were of very high quality, including Snowbird (Jack Tonkin x Diversion), Snowbird x Hellas, and Halo x Brownglen (posthumously named Memoria Jack Tonkin). The award record for the Jack Tonkin grex is weird: two clones, 'Robin' and 'Val' both purport to have HCC/AOS but there is no AOS or ODC award record for either of them, and 'Val's Choice' has an AM in 1966. Interestingly, the AM was received in Oklahoma City, a notorious judging center at the time for West Coast growers to ship flowers to get a slightly higher award...Nonetheless it is beautiful and fertile, at least three generations out; while its form may be surpassed by more recent whites, its fertility is excellent.

Latest posts

Back