paph insigne ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sangii

malipo nut
Reaction score
this plant is a division I was given from a mother plant which is itself a division from a paph that has been grown outdoors in Mexico for decades !

I think it is insigne even though the quite dark color of the petals makes me wonder, but insigne is so variable... the flower is also quite big : 8 cm across, almost 11 high

dscn3713fi3.jpg

Whatever spexies it is, it's so beautiful... The colours resemble that of a red apple...

There is allot of variation in insigne, but given the amount of red hue, I'm also inclined to consider villosum var. boxalii or gratrixianum. Can we see a better pic of the foliage (including base of plant)? That might help.

Also from looking through the diagrams in Cribb there are some subtle differences in staminode. For insigne the staminode should be slightly notched on the bottom edge, while villosum and gratrixianum have small projections instead of a notch.

I can see a projection on the staminode of your flower.

I checked out my insigne. The staminode is notched with no projection, and it has almost no purple pigment near the base of the leaves.

I cannot see the staminode clearly in the pic of nitens, so I can't tell what the hybrid staminode will look like.

Is nitens a natural hybrid?

Looks like a very nice insigne to me, with the colors intensified by the lighting. I read something many years ago that said that insigne had become naturalized in Mexico. Take care, Eric

On 2nd thought, the dorsal is a bit pinched for an insigne...perhaps a touch of "boxallii"?

the funny thing is I just came across this when searching for pictures of paph Nitens ( villosum x insigne)

this looks exactly like my plant and the picture is from a Mexican orchid grower !

http://amo.com.mx/galerias/Hibridas/slides/Paphiopedilum%20x%20nitens.html

I sent an email to the gentleman who had posted this picture on the Mexican website and his is the kind answer I got today

"This plant seems to be a hybrid between Paph. villosum and gratrixianum, others say villosum x insigne, and it has been traditionally cultivated in eastern Mexico for some 120 years at least, when that area was colonized by Europeans establishing coffee plantations. Today it grows spectacularly there, I have seen plants in 1 meter diameter containers with more than 200 flowers. I hope this info will help you, Best regards,

Rodrigo Remolina"

I've also noticed that insigne will have no spotting on the bracts, while gratrix and even pale forms of villosum will have purple spotted bracts.

The image is definitely NOT pure insigne. Paph insigne has relatively narrow petals with wavy edges. Your plant is most likely a hybrid, as others have suggested. A lovely plant at that but it is not insigne. My vote would be Nitens.

Is this a plant from Robert Leleu's collection ?
this plant is a division I was given from a mother plant which is itself a division from a paph that has been grown outdoors in Mexico for decades !

I think it is insigne even though the quite dark color of the petals makes me wonder, but insigne is so variable... the flower is also quite big : 8 cm across, almost 11 high

Back