Paph insigne Sanderae & Friends

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
Some of my insigne's flowewring this season. It has been strange this year as I have seen so many insigne Sanderae's for sale on eBay, many of them big specimen plants. I can't recall ever seeing them for sale before. Now there everywhere.

Quite a nice clone of a normal form.

A comparison of a normal insigne with my insigne 'Harefiled Hall' clone. The 'Harefield Hall' clone looks a bit past it but you can get a feel for the size difference.

Another insigne clone. As you can see from below and above, big beautiful plants but few flowers which is par for the course for me with this species.

Wow, I like the pics and, of course, the blooms and plants pictured, a lot !!!! quite interesting to have a pic of the Sanderae and normal form and being able to compare: I pers. prefer the normal :) !!!! Thanks, I hope my insignes decide to bloom ! Jean

Waouh! very very nice flowers!! What are your culture conditions specially your temperatures regime. Thanks for the infos.

emydura; Some of my insigne's flowewring this season. It has been strange this year as I have seen so many insigne Sanderae's for sale on eBay, many of them big specimen plants. I can't recall ever seeing them for sale before. Now there everywhere.

I did a search for it on ebay and didn't find a one. Then I saw you are from Au. and realized you are probably using Aussie Ebay. But shouldn't I be able to see the Aussie ones too?

Wow, I like the pics and, of course, the blooms and plants pictured, a lot !!!! quite interesting to have a pic of the Sanderae and normal form and being able to compare: I pers. prefer the normal :) !!!! ! Jean

In person Jean, the Sanderae is just wonderful. Really striking colour that just says look at me. They are big flowers as well. Considerably bigger than my normal ones but not as big as the 'Harefiled Hall' clone.

Waouh! very very nice flowers!! What are your culture conditions specially your temperatures regime. Thanks for the infos.

The normal insigne's I just grow outside all year round. The current temperatures outside at night can get well below freezing (down to -8oC). So they are grown real cold. They are under cover so they don't cop the frosts or anything. It is probably a little too cold but they seem to survive it OK. Summers can get very hot (35oC and above) although most days are around 30oC.

The Sanderae and Harefield Hall clone are too valuable so I grow them inside the glasshouse where the minimum temps are 15oC. They still seem to flower fine. In fact I think the Sanderae clone is my best flowering insigne.

Nice David. I think the first is properly called 'sanderianum'? (no spots) But beautiful regardless!

Yes, we have discussed this one previously. It was sold to me as a Sanderae by P&R Orchids. If you look closely (and use your imagination) you can see a few very fine spots. They are not as prominent as other Sanderae's I have seen. Whether that is enough to call it a Sanderae I don't know. So the ID is debatable on this clone.

emydura; I did a search for it on ebay and didn't find a one. Then I saw you are from Au. and realized you are probably using Aussie Ebay. But shouldn't I be able to see the Aussie ones too?

There aren't any at the moment. There was just this period where week after week big specimen plants were being sold on eBAy.

Lovely flowers and you're my new hero. I tried some of these long ago and could never manage to bloom even one. Perhaps winter temps. just weren't low enough.
I'll be damned!

Latest posts

Back