Paph. insigne + insigne var. ???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UweM

Reaction score
Paph. insigne does not often showed and it's not simply to identify the variations.

The folowing plant I get it as gratrixianum with the comment: imported from Thailand - collected in the neighbouring states:
It's a insigne var. ???

insigne1.jpg

insigne2.jpg

insigne4.jpg

This plant I get from Sam Tsui as insigne "Harfield Hall"

insigneharfield1.jpg

insigneharfield2.jpg

insigneharfield3.jpg

on the left the first showed insigne - on the right "Harefield Hall" - down a villosum / gratrixianum ??? from the Boarder Thailand / Laos

insignealle.jpg

This plant is for me the regular insigne type- an orchidfriend tell me, this is the typical insigne from the Sylhetense Mountains, called insigne var. sylhetense

insigne1_1.jpg

what are the 2 following plants? insigne var. ???

insigne3.jpg

insigne2_1.jpg

:clap::clap:Wonderful thread UweM! :drool: :drool:
Insigne is considered quite variable as you've shown, so I guess they all could be insigne, the stams appear to be the same shape on all. The last one looks like it could be a 'Harefield Hall'.
The one with the tall dorsal looks like the odd ball, but nature can throw curves!

Beautiful collection. Thanks for posting the many variations. It was interesting to see.

In the picture with all 3 varieties shown the bottom - middle example looks very much like my plant which I pictured here

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14595

you mention this one as coming from the border of Thailand & Laos. Note that the Thailand / Laos example does not have the wavey or ruffled edge to the petals near the column of the flower. If I saw this plant in isolation I would call it Paph exul. I would guess you have two Paph insigne and one Paph exul. All are very nice plants.

I would love to have a Paph insigne var. sylhetense

..... If I saw this plant in isolation I would call it Paph exul. I would guess you have two Paph insigne and one Paph exul. All are very nice plants.
I would love to have a Paph insigne var. sylhetense
That was my first thought too but the plant habit didn't look right. Would those slight notches in the stams be a variation for insigne? The known 'Harefield Hall' & the last one do have similar notches, the others are lacking the notch.

I don't think I have ever seen a true Harefield Hall. The ones I've seen in real life just looked like typical insigne, and the ones I have seen in pictures do not resemble the pictures I have seen in old books.

@ Leo Schordje:
the leaves of the small flower plant you can see here:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13755
Thanks, the growth habit of the plant I posted, that I had received as 'insigne' that I thought was exul, my plant vegetatively is more like your Thai/Laos border area plant than anything else. I think we have plants from the same location. This location is not the cited origin of 'true' exul. Now the question is, what do we call it?

Back