Paph insigne f. sanderianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjs2nd

Reaction score
Here is my Paph insigne f. sanderinum x self. this was the best i could do with my cell phone (hopefully a Nikon dsl is coming for Christmas). It's a first bloom seedling with just one growth. The bloom started opening 2 days ago. I like that so far the petals are flat and not ruffled. The pouch is a translucent lime green! It's incredible inperson. The picture doesn't show 3 barely-there spots. They're not red, so I'm happy with calling this orchid a sanderianum. Ns is 2 1/4 inches, Ds is 1 inch. Leaf span is 8 1/2 inches (not very big). Hope everyone enjoys as much as I do. :clap:

Attachments

• IMAG0211.jpg
    IMAG0211.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMAG0212.jpg
    IMAG0212.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 65
It is very nice but, if you compare pictures of helenaes and insignes, you can see the color patterns better matchs that of an insigne (the striping on the dorsal, the faint spots).

And I don't think it's a hybrid.

It is very nice but, if you compare pictures of helenaes and insignes, you can see the color patterns better matchs that of an insigne (the striping on the dorsal, the faint spots).

I agree, but the petals look as poor as the petals of helenae.
Quite unusual for a insigne to bloom as a one growth plant ...

And I don't think it's a hybrid.

I wouldn't be sure...

I was about to say....insigne sanderianum is a much larger flower than typical insigne. Definitely not insigne, nor is it likely to be straight helenae...It must be a helenae hybrid, possibly with insigne.

Yeah, I can see that. I'm going to goto OL at some point and see if I can find out more. I thought I was getting a species insigne but I'm still very happy with this bloom/orchid!

......I thought I was getting a species insigne but I'm still very happy with this bloom/orchid!
I think the bloom is a nice one but whether to be happy or not depends also on the price you paid. I could imagine the price of a straight P. insigne var. sanderianum is (much) higher than the price of this hybrid - at least here in Europe.

Who sells P. insigne var. sanderianum here in Europe ?

I think the bloom is a nice one but whether to be happy or not depends also on the price you paid. I could imagine the price of a straight P. insigne var. sanderianum is (much) higher than the price of this hybrid - at least here in Europe.

:poke: Price you say? How does $12.50US sound? :D I got it at an Orchid Socitey of Minnesota, members only sale.

$12.50US for Paph. insigne sanderae is very cheap. But by Sam is still cheaper , $10.00 US :D

I know, that's why I was so excited. However, helenaes are still not super common over here (meaning, you can't just goto any orchid vender and get one) so a hybrid would have some value (at least to me). Especially because it's album.

Of course, I can't sell it as a hybrid or do any crosses without knowing it's parentage for sure.

I'm very curious to see what the next bloom will look like and if the growths will get bigger.

At first I thought it was a straight insigne and it may still turn out that way, but the petals look so helenae at this early stage. The pouch says insigne.

There is a little wave in the petals now. I'm going to let the bloom get a little older to see if wave becomes more noticeable and post pictures. The petals, also, look like they got some-what wider. OL makes at least 98% of the crosses they sell. I don't see them making this cross and miss label what would be a very valuable cross here. I know it can happen, but it's still unlikely. I'm still leaning towards it being all insigne with very unique genes. Remember, it is a small, single growth plant, and this is it's first bloom.

Latest posts

Back