Paph. Inca 'Penn Valley' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Reaction score
Inca is a cross of Chardmoore 'Mrs. Cowburn' FCC/RHS and Hellas 'Westonbirt' FCC/RHS made by H.G. Alexander near the end of his breeding career in 1948. He sold a few seedlings to Dr. Wilson's Penn Valley Orchids...it's so weird to think about plants coming across the ocean in a big boat rather than by air. I guess they still do - Taiwanese budded phals come by the cargo ship-load, but consider the differences in open-ocean shipping in the late 1940s versus today. Dr. Wilson got alot of RHS-awarded plants re-awarded in the US; he got the AMs of F.C. Puddle FCC/RHS and F.C. Puddle 'Superbum'. Anyways, this one seedling was pretty good and was awarded a low HCC in 1961. Dr. Wilson was adamantly opposed to HCCs, saying more than once that the AOS would improve its standing as an awarding organization by "getting rid of the HCC," so it should come as no surprise that it was re-awarded an AM (on a spectacular blooming, much more full than this blooming and really than any time I've flowered it) in 1974, which is some 13 years after its original award. I just love finding Dr. Wilson's plants...I like to try to preserve them before they go away. When he sold out, the plants went to Klehm Growers; Klehm had a fire recently...I wonder how many were lost. Hopefully I can get more "Penn Valley" plants...

In any event, Inca has an interesting breeding history. Its progeny are very much like Chardmoore, in that only a few have acheived any measureable success, but many have been awarded. Nice whites like Tomas Garcia, Porcelain Treasure, Autumn Snow have been awarded, as have non-whites like the bronzes Shawnee, Ogallala, Blondel, and Ranchero (yes Ranchero does have some modern progeny...like Railroad Ranch). The best offspring in my opinion is Nulight, which has been used by Klehm for a whole suite of offspring. Nulight 'Hampshire' HCC/AOS is one of those weird ones with an award but without it written down anywhere... There are lots of hybrids still being made with offspring from Inca, so we're definitely not done discussing its impact. Time will tell...

Attachments

• inca_pennvalley.jpg
    inca_pennvalley.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 81
Thank Tim for the story, I'm particularly interested in breeding complex and by their history in green white and the others.... I will compil your post !

Do you have something interesting regarding the famous crosses Solamba, Paeony, Saint Ouen's Bay..?

Thank again,

Phil:clap:

Thanks for another excellent post, Tim. For those interested, pictures of cultivars of Tomas Garcia and Autumn Snow can be seen on Marriott Orchids website. Here's an unawarded Autumn Snow (FC Puddle x Inca) that I got from Wharton Sinkler's collection.

PaphAutumnSnow-1.jpg

PaphAutumnSnowplant-1.jpg

Tim- thanks again for the history! The way you present it,really makes it come alive!! You are doing very important work helping to preserve paph/complex hybrid history!

Thanks Ross - I was too lazy to make all the links...

Please if anyone else has more info to share on any of these plants, by all means chime in!!

Thanks tim for anoher good lesson!
I once heared, that there is/was a clone 'Superbum' of F.C. Puddle, as you mentioned above, but I don't know anything about it. What is the difference between F.C. Puddle FCC/RHS and F.C. Puddle 'Superbum'? Does it still exist today?

Yes I have them both (in theory); there's not a lot of differences between them, but since I've not taken pix, I couldn't tell you exact differences. Maybe next year...

Yes I have them both (in theory); there's not a lot of differences between them, but since I've not taken pix, I couldn't tell you exact differences. Maybe next year...

That would be fine, thanks Tim!

Thanks tim for anoher good lesson!
I once heared, that there is/was a clone 'Superbum' of F.C. Puddle, as you mentioned above, but I don't know anything about it. What is the difference between F.C. Puddle FCC/RHS and F.C. Puddle 'Superbum'? Does it still exist today?

I have two FC Puddles, also. The one labeled FCC/RHS has larger growths than the 'Superbum', but that might be cultural as I have only had the 'Superbum' for a little over a year.

I have two FC Puddles, also. The one labeled FCC/RHS has larger growths than the 'Superbum', but that might be cultural as I have only had the 'Superbum' for a little over a year.

Thanks Ross, interesting to see them both growing (and flowering) next to each other! So let's wait...

Does anyone know anything about differed breeding behavior of them?

I love these posts....you are really giving a fascinating history of the breeding of complex paphs.

Latest posts

Back