Quantcast

Paph In-Charm Topaz (Lisa x Davelle)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

TyroneGenade

mad scientist
Reaction score
First flowering. Photo without flash, using natural sunlight.

Not a tea-cup Paph but pleasing all the same. The plant is quite compact making it easier to care for and display. There are definitely two plants in the pot as there is another flower coming and it is smaller than this one, so I might get a tea-cup after all.

I'm itching to try some hybridization and would like to keep the plant small. But I would like to improve the shape a bit, so I was thinking Barb Hella or Blythe Bartlett (Hellas x niveum). The latter would has the promise of shape and nice pastels and whites.... Straight niveum could be interesting too. In any case I would need a pollen donation.

tt4n

eds

Reaction score
Very nice. That's what I like in a complex as it isn't round as a tea plate!

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
I thought In-Charm Topaz was helenae x Pacific Shamrock?
Or is this a sib cross of two In-Charm Topaz and those are the parents' clonal names in the parenthesis?
I have (helenae x Olymipian Paradise) in bloom. It looks like a giant helenae flower (but green all throughout) on tea cup size plant. I love the helenae being dominant in the flower shape in these hybrids.

TyroneGenade

mad scientist
Reaction score
Yes, Happypapy7, this is a sib cross. Sorry that wasn't clear.

I actually like rounded shape but I'm no snob who looks down on the more helenae-like shape of these. It is far from some of the monsters that show up in complex breeding.

I would not say no to having more of these---but different colors would be nice. If my Orchilla ever blooms I will cross that onto this one just to get some bright colors.

Rockbend

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW - I have done several In-Charm Topaz crosses and have 2 thoughts for you: 1) in my experience only about 30% of the progeny get the yellow color to come through, and 2) breeding with niveum has a tendency to 'bleach' things, though the complex background in ICT might overwhelm the bleaching.

:)👍

TyroneGenade

mad scientist
Reaction score
The bleaching is part of the idea: miniature white Paphs. But the real charm of such a cross is the possibility of getting a range of colors. For that reason crossing to something which is already x niveum might be better. Pollen from something like Paph Little Bright Eyes might be more rewarding.

Latest posts