Paph (Impulse x leucochilum) '#8'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is #8, along with pictures of my favorite blooms from this cross for comparison.

Paph (Impulse x leucochilum) '#8'
PaphImpulsexleucochilum8.jpg

Paph (Impulse x leucochilum) '#7'
PaphImpulsexleucochilum7.jpg

Paph (Impulse x leucochilum) '#4'
PaphImpulsexleucochilum4-1.jpg

Paph (Impulse x leucochilum) '#2'
PaphImpulsexleucochilum-1.jpg

A few of comments on #8:
1. The cupped dorsal over rides the synsepal in back.
2. The stem is at least twice as tall as any previous blooms stem.
3. The underside of the leaves are almost free of the dark spotting evident on the other plants with darker flowers.

Amazing! I can't believe the variety in that cross! all of them are great! Eric

#8 is a very interesting flower. Its so heavily shaped like a Brachy flower yet has the color. Its definitely one I would consider breeding with, onto a true Maudiae or superbiens style flower. The petal positioning on this one would suit this type of breeding rather than any of the others. Apart from that, I think I like it because of its difference.

#4 is my absolute favorite. i'll give you a shiny new nickel for it...

#4 is the only one I've used the pollen on, so far. I used it on two complex Paphs:

Paph Papyrus 'Model': hopefully to further reduce size, add color and widen the petals.
PaphPapyrusModelplant.jpg

Paph Orchilla 'Chilton' : Just to continue the dark colors on a rounder flower. If some turn out compact, all the better.
PaphOrchillaChilton.jpg

I like the way you think, especially with the Orchilla cross.

Thank you all for the comments. I find it interesting to see the variety that can come from some crosses, also. That's why I post all the blooms. Not all are pretty, some are downright ugly, but it's this variety that make hybridizing fun for me. Both this cross and the (Coorong x Wellconabe) were done by small growers similar to myself.

Leo, I think you may be right on with the Orchilla cross. I think sometimes I try too hard for the "home run" cross as opposed to going for the "solid single" that may produce a more consistent, quality cross.

#8 is a very interesting flower. Its so heavily shaped like a Brachy flower yet has the color. Its definitely one I would consider breeding with, onto a true Maudiae or superbiens style flower. The petal positioning on this one would suit this type of breeding rather than any of the others. Apart from that, I think I like it because of its difference.

That is an idea that I had not considered, but I really like. :)

Latest posts

Back