Paph (Impulse x leucochilum) '#6'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For comparison, here's the thread with pictures of three other flowers from this flask. http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3685

PaphImpulsexleucochilum6.jpg

Roy said:
Another fine flower. I wish all the people who have bought one seedling orchid from me over the years could actually see the benefits you have had, of buying more than one.

Thanks, Roy. I almost always try to buy flasks, compots, or multiple seedlings of a cross just to see the variety that can occur. It also give me a better chance to get a nicer flower. Lately, I seem to have had quite good luck with some of the unusual crosses. I hope the trend continues.

paphreek said:
Thanks, Roy. I almost always try to buy flasks, compots, or multiple seedlings of a cross just to see the variety that can occur. It also give me a better chance to get a nicer flower. Lately, I seem to have had quite good luck with some of the unusual crosses. I hope the trend continues.
I have always bought flasks of Paphs or bred my own. Quantity rules. The exception is for Complex Paph individual seedlings, I like to see the plants in person if possible. I need to look at the leaves, then I will make my choices. I have a rule for them and it works 90 / 100.

Roy said:
I have always bought flasks of Paphs or bred my own. Quantity rules. The exception is for Complex Paph individual seedlings, I like to see the plants in person if possible. I need to look at the leaves, then I will make my choices. I have a rule for them and it works 90 / 100.

Roy,

Care to share the rule? Always looking for ways to avoid the malformed.

charlie c

The rule for complex paph seedling. NOTE, it does not apply to Yellow or green breeding with great accuracy but general features of below can be found.
For all other crossing.
The leaves should be shortish, very broad, very rounded at the end and in some breeding, the leaves will not be flat, they will have a 'roll' the full length of the leaf. This is very evident in Reds, spotteds and some red/bronze breeding if Paph Paeony 'Regency' is in the background.
Generally speaking from "experience" the longer and narrower the leaves on a complex Paph, the poorer the quality of flower. Good substance in the leaves is a good sign also.

Roy said:
The rule for complex paph seedling. NOTE, it does not apply to Yellow or green breeding with great accuracy but general features of below can be found.
For all other crossing.
The leaves should be shortish, very broad, very rounded at the end and in some breeding, the leaves will not be flat, they will have a 'roll' the full length of the leaf. This is very evident in Reds, spotteds and some red/bronze breeding if Paph Paeony 'Regency' is in the background.
Generally speaking from "experience" the longer and narrower the leaves on a complex Paph, the poorer the quality of flower. Good substance in the leaves is a good sign also.

Roy,

Thanks for sharing your insights. Seems similar to the criteria used when looking at Phalaenopsis seedlings. Wondering if the pigmentation of the leaves plays any part in your decision making? Especially with the reds.

charlie c

Pigmentation in the leaves of Red Paphs, Complex, is not something that means a lot. I have found more color in the plants for spotteds than for reds.
I have a number of almost black in color complex paphs that have very little or no color in the base or leaves. In fact, even some of the best vini color paphs have very little coloration. They are the exception and not the rule though. I must confess, from the Phal seedlings I have seen of late and I would be hard pressed to tell them apart from each other. This I think was due to the culture ie lighting and parentage but I can see the similarities.

Latest posts

Back