Paph (Impulse x leucochilum) '#5'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's interesting about this cross is how consistent the quality is.
PaphImpulsexleucochilum5.jpg

For comparison, here are '#1' and '#4'
PaphImpulsexleucochilum-1.jpg

PaphImpulsexleucochilum4.jpg

tan said:
why #4 is so different & outstanding ?

I would assume that the color variation comes from the complex, maudiae-type vinicolor, Paph Impulse. When bred, the offspring of vini's tend to range from dark vinicolors to coloratums. Evidently the same range of coloration occurs when they are crossed with leucochilum.

Perhaps someone with better breeding/genetics knowledge could explain why this happens.:)

Very nice! Did you buy a flask? I wouldn't be surprised at all, if you get an award out of one of that cross.

Candace said:
Very nice! Did you buy a flask? I wouldn't be surprised at all, if you get an award out of one of that cross.

Yes, I bought a flask and sold some of the seedlings before any bloomed. I'm keeping the rest for now. The cross came from Crowhill Orchids a few years back. Unfortunately, the website doesn't seem to exist anymore and I lost my email contact info when my computer crashed a couple years ago.

tan said:
Kind of curious where are all the dots and splashs ,etcs. gone to ?

Will appear in the next generation?

I'm not an expert, but when a vini-color complex Maudiae such as Impulse is used in a maudiaea type cross, only a certain number of seedlings turnout as dark. The marjority are the typical coloratum, which is what the "dots and splashes" form would correspond to in this cross with leucochilum. I would love to hear from someone with more knowledge who could explain this better.:)

Latest posts

Back