Paph I'ansonii - antique complex multifloral

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo Schordje

wilted blossom
Reaction score
This is Paph I'ansonii (Morganiae 'Bufordense' x rothschildianum) registered in 1898 by S. Low. Also sometimes spelled L'Ansonii. I believe the name I'anson is a Flemish surname, and could be transliterated to "Janson", I could be wrong about this, but I believe that is why there are two spellings for the name, errors in translation to English registration.

Regardless the name, this plant's parentage is [(stonei x superbiens) x rothschildianum] Which is an interesting intersectional hybrid back crossed to rothschildianum.

I don't know if this is a division of one of the original clones from the 1898 cross or if it is a seedling from a later remake. I bought it out of a collection being liquidated (if my high energy physicist friend see's this, its your plant ;) let me know if you want a division back).

There is mechanical damage on the first flower, or I would have dragged it to judging. Two flowers and one bud coming. The flowers are a couple weeks old in this photo. Petals are 2.1 cm wide x about 17 cm long (hard to measure the curve). Dorsal is flame shaped when flattened 6.2 x 6.2 cm, and the natural spread is 16+ cm by about 14 cm, all in all a beefy flower. Imposing. I love the stonei influence visible in the dorsal.

Enjoy

iansonii497-Aug2012a.jpg

iansonii497-Aug2012d.jpg

Wow Leo, I love this hybrid. I think Morganiae is such a great parent. I should remake this, I have a few divisions of Morganiae that came from a botanical garden. It was brought into there collection just before 1900. Dr. Orchid crossed it to sanderianum which also made a great hybrid. The Morganiae have such wide petals because they were made with stonei var. platyaenium. The wide petals show through in the hybrids. Great plant. Now breed it back to stonei. That would be nice.

Great looking flowers Leo. I had a friend that had this same hybrid and it's parent Morganiae 'Bufordense' but he never bloomed either in the time I knew him. He could grow the dickens out of both but no flowers. I had Morganiae 'Bufordense' from him along with Io and did bloom the former but with distorted flowers, summer heat. I found these early intersectionals to be hard to bloom in general.

Great looking flowers Leo. I had a friend that had this same hybrid and it's parent Morganiae 'Bufordense' but he never bloomed either in the time I knew him. He could grow the dickens out of both but no flowers. I had Morganiae 'Bufordense' from him along with Io and did bloom the former but with distorted flowers, summer heat. I found these early intersectionals to be hard to bloom in general.

Hey Rick, do you have remakes or new intersectionals, are they easier to bloom? Say the vinicolor x rothschildianum? I have a (praestans x Macabre) that seems pretty easy to bloom, though it has yet to give me a flower without crippling. The deformities so far have been constant and bad. But it blooms every 18 months.

Don't know if it something unique about the plants used in these old antiques, or if it really is a general phenomena for this type of breeding. The callosum - superbiens group by the rothschildianum group does not seem to be a very compatible mix.
What do you think?

I'm with you Leo not very compatible but when you do get one that mixes right....everybody whats one!
That same friend had a couple of plants from compots at the the grew to 15-20 growths and rarely ever bloomed. BUT one was knock dead gorgeous! They were callosum X praestrans. Beautiful ribbon-like petals but you just could not get them to bloom.

I did have the I'ansonii outside for the summer. Hot during the day, and a sharper temp drop at night than it would get in the house. But the bud was probably set over the winter, so I don't know that being outside really had much to do with it. The single growth plant is about 5 years from a 2 1/2 inch pot. Now I don't know if it was a seedling, it was originally a big plant when I got it. I set it back to the point where a 2 1/2 inch pot was the right size to use. Sometimes I'm a very bad grower, but I occasionally do make good saves on some of the ones I almost kill.

Back