Paph. Hsinying Maru x rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jmoney

for some reason, the dark vini x coryopedilums produce some of the very darkest flowers in the paph world. the coloratums usually will have much better form, but those fortunate enough to have the true vinis from these lineages can expect colors that border on pitch black.

Paph.%20(Hsinying%20Maru%20x%20rothschildianum).JPG

Amidst the incredible variety of shapes and colors in the paph world, the majestic long-petalled coryopedilums and the intense purple-black vinicolors remain among the most striking. It is no wonder, then, that these two lineages have been crossed to each other in hopes of creating the elusive multifloral vinicolor. This singular goal has, in fact, been accomplished with some degree of success. Typically only a small percentage of each vini x coryo cross will exhibit the telltale dark leaf base, but the flowers that these plants throw surely rank among the darkest of paphs. A significant percentage of flowers, however, are plagued by poor form, and most seem to lack the "grace" of the coryopedilum parent. Nevertheless, the best examples of this line are still treasured by the paph connoisseur for the large sweeping flowers, borne 2-3 at a time on mature plants, and the astonishingly dark coloration that often borders on true black.

Very nice :clap: :clap: :clap: ....strange, I have a craving for some chocholate now

I just purchased 2 of these from different vendors, one was in bloom and exquisite, Paph Gaulois when it can be found is also extraordinarily dark. I have a number of very dark ones and am always intersted in acquiring more, I really like the dark, warty, hairy ones the best. There is beauty in the grotesque, Anyone who knows of plants with these qualities, please send me the names and I'll add the to my wish list. I am gald to have found this site and also for all that I am learning from reading the posts even though I have only been a member 3 days

Posting a picture I think

this is the first try so lets give it a go. I really like Jason thread on this cross as it it one of my favorites. He is absolutely correct that flower shapes are often compromised-but then that was the only one I could afford. Still I think is is dark and lovely.

Latest posts

Back