Paph. Hsinying Cherry x Paph. Hsinying Maru

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilbeck

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I went to the RHS website and looked up the ancestry of my Paph. Hsinying Cherry x Paph. Hsinying Maru “Ching Hua.” The plant has more relatives and a better documented heritage than I do! If a hybrid has no "name," does that indicate it has not been registered? Here is a picture of it:

hsinhyb2ndsmallrj6.jpg

Wilson

Are primary hybrids automatically registered? Here is a Paph. primulum x Paph. philippiense, purchased recently from my local pusher which doesn't have a name on the label, just the primary parents:

primphilsmalloa2.jpg

Wilson

Oops, I mis-spelled 'primulinum.' I notice on the RHS that for 'Honey' the seed parent is P. philippiense and the pollen parent is P. primulinum. Does that make any difference in the registration?

I'm pretty sure that the hybrid name is unchanged by the reversal of the pod/pollen parents. For example, roth x lowii is Julius, and lowii x roth is still Julius. It may be more influenced by the first parent, but it's still the same hybrid.

By all means though, if I'm wrong, someone correct me please!

Heather said:
I'm pretty sure that the hybrid name is unchanged by the reversal of the pod/pollen parents. For example, roth x lowii is Julius, and lowii x roth is still Julius. By all means though, if I'm wrong, someone correct me please!

The name is the same regardless of which is the pod or pollen parent. The product could be a bit different as a result of the maternal influence of the pod parent. It would be interesting to see a comparison of both versions.

ok thanks i can name a one of my maudiaes then and maybe a few others :) maybe I read it wrong...yes the offspring can be different which is quite interesting!

Latest posts

Back