Paph House Moving Sale

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candace

Reaction score
As a newsletter editor, I receive copies of other N. CA newsletters and was surprised to see an advertisement for a moving sale of the Paph House, owned by Francisco Baptista and Fred Jernigan. The Paph House is located in San Leandro, CA.

Here's the info:
SATURDAY, JULY 28TH & SUNDAY, JULY 29TH 8 am-5 pm
PAPHIOPEDILUMS, MILTONIOPSIS, CATTLEYAS,
CYMBIDIUMS AND LOTS OF OTHER VARIETIES
PLEASE COME AND SEE THERE WILL BE GOOD PRICES
FOR DIRECTIONS OR QUESTIONS; CONTACT FRED OR
FRANCISCO AT 510 635-2845
E-MAIL PAPH@ FLASH.NET
375 WARWICK AVENUE SAN LEANDRO,
CALIFORNIA 94577

Anyone planning on going? Also, does anyone know where they're moving to? It's about a 2 hr. drive each way for me, so I haven't decided if I'm going, but I'd love to as I've never been.

I woke up this morning and decided to go to the Paph House sale and I couldn't believe the prices. $40.00 for an 18" x 18" flat, as many as you can fit into the tray. Seedlings, divisions, whatever. The only plants excepted are those Fred and Francisco set aside for their personal collections and a few specimens marked individually. These aren't just out of flask seedlings or tiny divisions.

I picked up 25 plants of various sizes. Many Paph seedlings, including viniferum, sangii, curtisii, appletonianum, tigrinum and roebelinii. Honestly, I could have squeezed a few more in but I started to feel slightly guilty. I hate to take advantage of old friends.

If you are in the Bay Area go to the Paph House this weekend!

Regards,
Rick

Must have just passed you Rick. I just got back home and will now nap. I brought home 65 paphs(most B.S.) for $80. They were extremely generous with me and I promised to give them a good home. What nice people to share so openly. I also got tons of species and many hybrids.

Tomorrow is the last day of the sale and a 4 hr. round trip drive was well worth it. They don't do c.c or mail order so you've got to show up with cash and or checks.

Sounds like some good deals! If someone is close and could pick up some things for me, I'd make it worth your while :)

Serious. PM me or email :)

- Matt

I am having a heart attack here on the east coast. If I had know of the sale I would have flew out, even though i have no room for more plants. Two of the nicest guys around. rusty

Must have just passed you Rick. I just got back home and will now nap. I brought home 65 paphs(most B.S.) for $80. They were extremely generous with me and I promised to give them a good home. What nice people to share so openly. I also got tons of species and many hybrids.

Tomorrow is the last day of the sale and a 4 hr. round trip drive was well worth it. They don't do c.c or mail order so you've got to show up with cash and or checks.

OMG!!! That's one way to clear a greenhouse in a hurry! Was there a stampede?

OMG!!! That's one way to clear a greenhouse in a hurry! Was there a stampede?

I was pretty much by myself in the g.h. for an hour this morning(9-10). A few people would walk in to look around(they are also having a moving/yard sale) and leave. Yardsale folks aren't big orchid buyers:> I'm sure they got more orchid growers throughout the day, though.

Apparently they're sold out of Paph species now... just have complex hybrids left. Luckily I called before I booked a flight :)

- Matt

Wow, someone must have come by and bought the lot for resale. Probably ebay, here they come:( Glad I got there when I did, then.

Candace,

I must have just missed you. I'm sure I would have noticed your balloon-shaped head, spindly arms and (sadly) the lack of a nose. I must admit I do tend to have tunnel vision when I'm zeroing in on such bargains.

What I really like about picking through collections are the oddball (some would say speculative) crosses you can find. How about Paph ciliolare x Paph sanderianum? Will it ever bloom? I have no idea, but I plan to find out!

Regards,
Rick

I'm glad that you two got some great deal. I'm jealous.

At the same time its sad that another orchid grower is going out of business. I dont' know what to say. It hurts us all.

One this I do, is at my local show, I make a point to buy at least on plant from all the vendors. Its not much, but it helps. We don't often get any international vedors, but I support them too, so they will come back. Otherwise, I have to buy (at a markup) from their middle man.

And everytime my clubs does a bulk order I order a couple of plants. I do that for the same reason, but also, being in Canada, if the club orders arn't big enough, it won't be worth the vendors time to go throught the hassel to export the plants. I don't like cattleyas, but I have a few thanks to a club order to H&R and Carmelas.

Believe me, I don't have lots of money or room to be buying all these plants, but I can imagine how hard it is to run an orchid buisness.

Now this news about Ackers. It might be bad news for us phrag growers. Although they are retiring not closing, but still.

Just rambling

Kyle

The good news here is Francisco has accepted a job at the winery in charge of the Raymond Burr orchid collection. He seems excited and a move to Sonoma is always a good thing.

I must have just missed you. I'm sure I would have noticed your balloon-shaped head, spindly arms and (sadly) the lack of a nose. I must admit I do tend to have tunnel vision when I'm zeroing in on such bargains.

What I really like about picking through collections are the oddball (some would say speculative) crosses you can find. How about Paph ciliolare x Paph sanderianum? Will it ever bloom? I have no idea, but I plan to find out!

Haha funny stuff! I didn't see that particular cross so you may have gotten the last one. I don't think I'll be posting a list as it makes me look like way too big of a pig.

Now this news about Ackers. It might be bad news for us phrag growers. Although they are retiring not closing, but still.Kyle

I sure hope Chuck will be able to continue doing all these new crosses with the new owners. Hopefully it will work out well for him. Chuck adds so much to the orchid world. Marilyn

O.K. I finally finished all the repotting(into s/h of course!) and did the first critter spraying. They'll still have to be quarantined a while longer in the spa tub. This is a large tub, by the way.

repotted.jpg

Latest posts

Back