Paph Hookerae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nicely bloomed. Are you growing under lights?
No not at all. In the past couple years, it's either grown in an east or west window in the house. I grow all my Paph's in an east or west window in my home. I grow it in a mix of 50% classic orchiata, 30% sphagnum, and 20% small perlite, and keep it very moist all year long.

I like your hookerae very much! Especially the form of the staminode abd the colotation of the petals.
Michael

Very nice. Mine took a long time to acclimatize to my situation. Last year it put out a flower stock and was very tall like yours. I put it outside in the shade stand and the squirrels chewed the bud off just as it was starting to open.
Don

Very nice. Mine took a long time to acclimatize to my situation. Last year it put out a flower stock and was very tall like yours. I put it outside in the shade stand and the squirrels chewed the bud off just as it was starting to open.
Don
Oh no!!! That must have been devastating!! I've had squirrels chew through my live vein and kill my favorite 60 year old juniper bonsai....

Don

OMG - that must have been awfull! I've seen orchid damage by mice, snails, a variety of pests (in my own collection mainly mealybugs and false red spider mites), brown rot and my own clumsiness...but squirrels are new to my list of orchid trauma!

My most heartfelt commiserations to you, Don, as well as to Junglejewel for his bonsai et al.

Kind regards,
Jens

This species also has beautifully marked leaves.
I somehow struggle with this species. I actually quit for now. lol
Yours is a nice example! Thanks! I might try again later.

This species also has beautifully marked leaves.
I somehow struggle with this species. I actually quit for now. lol
Yours is a nice example! Thanks! I might try again later.
I don't do anything special with it. Just an east or west window, and keep it VERY moist all year long. I struggled with it for two years... it did nothing for me as I watered it like my other paph's. I finally started keeping it darn near wet all the time and it finally awakened!! Haha

I guess that was my mistake, then. I kept it too dry, nearly all the time. It was expensive yet I didn't pay much attention to it. don't know why. it's a goner now. I got tired of looking at it not growing any bigger. lol
might get another one some time. It seems readily available here.

I guess that was my mistake, then. I kept it too dry, nearly all the time. It was expensive yet I didn't pay much attention to it. don't know why. it's a goner now. I got tired of looking at it not growing any bigger. lol
Yes sounds like you made the same mistake I was making. I encourage you to try another one and use a medium mix of at least 30% sphagnum, and keep it very moist! You have to remember.., this species comes from a true rainforest, unlike most of our Paph's that come from seasonal "monsoon" jungles, so keep it almost wet!

Give it to NYEric as he grows wet

Latest posts

Back