Paph. Honey ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondie

Reaction score
Hi

I was given this by a friend as it never flowered for him. It has taken a while to bloom for me, he said it come from one of the Dutch growers. I thought it could be P. Honey or P. Helvetia.
But not to sure anyone able to help with the name?

A few people think it might be Honey, but the flower is very large 4 inch long and 4inch wide. It has been very time since I have grown Honey.

I think it would be very tough, if not impossible, to reliably distinguish between many of the intersectional cochlopetalum hybrids of this type. In other words, some clones of Honey could easily pass as several or more different hybrids, and vice versa.

How long has the flower been open? In this case, the lip coloration does strike me as being a bit bolder than I'd anticipate from a philly hybrid, though if the flower were newly opened or still opening, the coloration would be darker. The petals also strike me as abnormal for this hybrid, since they are very lacking in undulation and/or twisting. However, if the flower hasn't fully opened, this could also confound things since the twisting wouldn't have had time to develop yet.

Overall, my first impression is that this isn't P. Honey, but I wouldn't rule it out entirely or bet my life on it. Do you have other photos of the flower with more close-up detail and/or from other angles?

Hi

I can take more photos tomorrow and post them. The flower has been open for around 5 days now. I know I'm clutching at straws so to speak.
As it came from the large Dutch growers, quite some time ago they where mainly growing P. Honey and P. Helvetia for the mass market which has lead to the these two names.

Hi

Thanks for the replies here are some close up photo's of the flower to help.
thanks again for the help.

That seals the deal for me. It's almost certainly not P. Honey.

While I think it's a little bit of a stretch to assume there are only 2 hybrids this can be, even if the odds seem overwhelmingly likely given your statement about the source, if we accept that, then it must be Paph. Helvetia.

Hi thanks for the reply black so fast. I agree there are a lot of hybrids, out there those two hybrids are the only ones I know that had regestered names that where being sold on the UK.
My friend cant remeber the place he got it from as its been a long time, but it came when he was selling orchids from off the contenant at the time.

Back