Paph. hirsutissimum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jblanford

I've been waiting 5 years for this one to pop, last year it had a sheath but blasted. This year it has two flowers and they get better looking each day. Thanks for looking. Jim.

Attachments

• IMG_1565.JPG
    IMG_1565.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1575.JPG
    IMG_1575.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 84
This one has large well presented petals. How long has the flower been open?

If the petals stay in this presentation I'd say this is a showable flower.

The petals are prone to allot of twisting and reflexing in this species.

I'm no expert but if the picture is true, the unopen bud doesn't show excessive hairs on the ovary, peduncle or the bud itself then Roy is right. It's most likely Paph hirsutissimum var. esquirolei.:confused:

The tag on this plant reads P. hirsutissimum "Peter" X
P. hirsutissimum "Sunrise". I'm not sure where Var- Esquirolei comes in. The first flower has been open for one week the second just a couple of days. I hope they
will last until the Green Bay WI. show next week-end.
Thanks Jim.

I think allot of people got tired of trying to differentiate the nominal form from the variety. This one is really a matter of splitting hairs:poke::poke:

Jim, I'd love to get some pollen from this flower after you're done showing it.

Rick

That was worth waiting for. I have 2 that I have been waiting for since 2002.
I hope they will bloom next winter.

That was worth waiting for. I have 2 that I have been waiting for since 2002.
I hope they will bloom next winter.

Berrak
Check for sheaths now. Mine typically put up sheaths in Fall, but hold them through the winter. The spikes on mine are just starting to poke up now, and by April I should have quite a few blooms open.

Jim, the main characteristics I look for and see in yours are, flower color, size of flower, lack of hairs on the top edge of the petals, petal size, color and shape, dorsal shape and pouch color. The previous owner may have just left the 'Esquirolei' out for some reason.

OK... To answer a few questions, Rick you can have all the pollen you need, but you'll have to walk me through the process I've never done that before. As for growths their are 2 with flowers, 2 others good size, and 1 just starting to come out. Roy when I get some time I'll check the flowers with a magnifier. Thanks Jim.

I also have another P. hirsutissimum. in spike now but the plant looks different smaller and darker leaves almost molted like. I'll post a pic when it blooms. I got it at a soceity auction so not sure if it's tagged right. Jim.

Latest posts

Back