Paph henryanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
This one has been improving with every flowering. The flower is of pretty good size. It seems to like growing in the basket.

henryanum%202019.jpg

henryanum%202019%202.jpg

Every time I see a nice one of these I think "I've got to get one of these for my collection", and yours is very nice. I guess I'll be adding another plant shortly.

Probably a net pot or a basket.
Very nice David. Found the same thing to be true. I killed this species every time I kept it in a solid pot. Not until I tried growing it in the net pot did it proliferate, bloom and not rot away!

You can. I did at first but lining didn't work for me. It stayed too dry for me.
I shredded it up and mixed it up on the heavy side with my std Orchidiata, sponge rock and charcoal.

Probably a net pot or a basket.
Very nice David. Found the same thing to be true. I killed this species every time I kept it in a solid pot. Not until I tried growing it in the net pot did it proliferate, bloom and not rot away!

Yes. A net pot. My experience too Rick. I struggled with this species until I grew it in a basket from where it has flourished.

i will try the net basket. Do line it with sphagnum?

I line mine with sphagnum and fill it with Orchiata bark. This henryanum was mostly grown in an 80 mm basket where it grew really well. Now that it is a multi-growth plant, I recently repotted it in a 140 mm basket. I think the trick to stop these drying out too quickly, is to grow them in a very humid environment and not place them in areas with very vigorous air movement.

Very beautyful!
How often do you have to water it when growing it in a basket?

Very beautyful!
How often do you have to water it when growing it in a basket?

I don't have to water them that differently to my non-basket Paphs. It is a bit cooler here now, so once a week at the moment. In summer, twice a week. I do have to be careful of baskets located in parts of the glasshouse where there is more air movement. They can dry out very fast and need more regular watering. I try not to put baskets in these locations.

I generally grow my Paphs in larger baskets than I do pots. So there is more medium, which then stays wetter. When I pick up a basket after I have watered it, it weighs a tonne. Much heavier than a similar size plant grown in a pot.

Here is a photo of my gratrixianum where you can see all the roots have been running down the side of the basket (on the outside of the sphagnum moss). This gratrixianum was doing well in a normal pot but then started to deteriorate and fell apart into a few pieces. I put one piece in a basket and the rest in normal pots. This plant in the basket has done much better. I have now put it in a larger basket and it is now a big specimen.

gratrix%20roots.jpg

Latest posts

Back